FORUMS: list search recent posts

Going Overseas to Shoot

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bob archerGoing Overseas to Shoot
by on May 22, 2007 at 4:02:38 pm

We're currently planning on going overseas to shoot for a client. I've been looking into getting out gear over there, and that seems to be a step which requires quite a bit of preparation. So far I believe I need to acquire a carnet, as well as a 'known shipper' license for the gear to be put on the same flight as the crew as cargo since is weighs over 100 lbs.

Do any of you have any insight, of knowledge that you'd like to share with me as this is my first time preparing for an overseas shoot. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Larry MeltonRe: Going Overseas to Shoot
by on May 24, 2007 at 2:52:23 am

Last month I went to Israel and the UK. I did some research on carnets (a lot on the COW), and there seemed to be a general consensus that they were unnecessary, and expensive. I did make up a list of all my gear with serial numbers and had it checked and stamped at US customs.

I was traveling with two clients, and I had four cases of gear plus my suitcase. Each of my clients checked one of my bags, and I paid
the excess baggage fees on the other. I carried my camera (JVC HD100) with me.

I had no problems whatsoever. Nothing was questioned going in or out of any country, or back home to the US. As I write this, I am in Monterrey Mexico with the same gear, and again had no problem
at all flying in.

I'm sure that other countries may have different rules and requirements, but that was my experience. I highly recommend making the list of your gear with serial numbers and taking it (with the gear) to a US customs office. As I understand it, this is primarily to insure that you have no problems bringing your equipment back in to the US, but it also gave me a sense of having an "official" document had anyone questioned me. And no one has asked for it yet.

Have a great trip. If you need any crew in Israel or England, I can tell you who to avoid :).

Larry Melton
Grand Rapids MI

Return to posts index

BG315Re: Going Overseas to Shoot
by on Aug 21, 2007 at 4:27:20 pm

I'm planning a trip to Egypt, and I'm actually considering upgrading to new cameras for this trip. I've been told by a sales rep. from a certain company that it is dangerous to take video equipment on trips like these because, though equipment might be let in, it might "show up broken" once you get there."

Is this actually true, or are there steps you need to take at customs beforehand to prevent your equipment from being messed with. I'd hate to invest thousands of dollars on new equipment, only to return with broken equipment.

He said the reason the equipment would be broken was because it looked professional, will traveling with a "tourist-like" camera would most likely not cause any problems at all....but that would mean less quality footage.

Any suggestions or insights on this would be appreciated greatly.

Return to posts index

Philip HowellsRe: Going Overseas to Shoot
by on Mar 29, 2008 at 12:00:54 am

For the past 30 years until 9/11 we've made many programmes overseas and always took our own gear (with backups if the locality was remote)under carnet - much money and palaver in preparation but worth it.

However, since 9/11 the airlines are so picky we rent equipment from reputable people wherever we're going.

If I was offered a programme in a "difficult" location now frankly it would have to have a budget big enough to make it worth doing. I know that's easy for a 65 year old to say but honestly some programmes just aren't worth it and you should always know when to say no thanks politely.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved