FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about what camera to buy

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zvi_TwerskyQuestion about what camera to buy
by on Mar 18, 2007 at 3:18:06 pm

I am starting a one man video production company. (I've done this for years but just as a hobby) I never had a proffesional camera. I wanted to ask some general suggestions about the camera to get. I am leaning towards the AG-DVX100B because I read good reviews about it and it seems to be one of the best out there that does very well in low lighting situations. (and of course the ability to shoot 24f).

Does anyone have other suggestions? I would like some other good cameras so I can review them too.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.Re: Question about what camera to buy
by on Mar 19, 2007 at 4:24:21 am

I think I've tried out most of the "mini" HDV cameras... we finally settled on the Canon XLH1 and have been using it as our primary shooter since shortly after they came out.

I can't say enough good things about this camera... it is one of the few "minis" that I have ever picked up that seemed like a "real" professionl camera right from the get-go.

I won't go on and on about its features and capabilities... those details are easy enough to find in reviews on the net... but I'll just say I have not found a single thing that I really dislike about the camera. I think its only real shortcoming is the viewfinder, but its resolution is as good or better than all other cameras in its category (basically, pretty much all the viewfinders on HDV camera have serious shortcomings, especially if you rely on them for critical focusing when shooting HD). If you could pair an XLH1 with an Accuscene viewfinder, then you'd really have something (but then of course the finder would cost a fair bit more than the camera).

We usually use just the XLH1 body married with a P+S Technik converter and cinema lenses... but even with the stock Canon video lens the picture is abstolutely outstanding.

It'd be worth trying to borrow or rent one for day or two just to play with it.

Just my two cents....

T2

Return to posts index

Zvi_TwerskyRe: Question about what camera to buy
by on Mar 19, 2007 at 12:09:21 pm

Yes, I looked into the XLH1 as well, and the downside for me is that it's a little pricy. My price range is $3500 max. Maybe I'll upgrade in the future. Thanks for the 2 cents. :-)

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Question about what camera to buy
by on Mar 19, 2007 at 11:33:39 pm

Unless you have guaranteed work for that camera 3 days or more a week, don't buy one yet, rent what you need, when you need it, and when somebody else is paying for it. No matter What Doug Spotted Eagle says, this is a bad year to tie yourself down to a camer aand format at least until after NAB.

The camera is only a tool, a means, not the end. The end is to make a program. Ownership of the camera doesn't necessarily need to be part of that.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 20, 2007 at 2:45:38 am

You said "at least until after NAB"... What is NAB?

Return to posts index

epontiusRe: Question about what camera to buy
by on Mar 21, 2007 at 6:03:32 pm

"NAB" stands for "National Association of Broadcasters"... the NAB referenced here is their annual tradeshow and convention, this year it starts April 14 through the 19th. Many new video products are announced by companies during this time. So if you buy a camera now, you might regret it since there could be something bigger/better/cheaper announced at the convention.

Erik

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2007 at 9:34:59 pm

Thanks! I WILL wait until then and keep my eye on that site.

Return to posts index

stephRe: Question about what camera to buy
by on May 23, 2007 at 7:45:33 am

Why not just go with a Sony Z1U? You'll be able to get some decent 1080I footage that is nicely convertable to 720p with most editors? It's a pretty cheap cam with XLR connections and lots of pro options. I've been using, and editing with mine for about a year now. It's nice! Cheap on ebay, that's where I found mine. In your price range...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]