FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dental Procedure Filming

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin PhillipsDental Procedure Filming
by on Nov 18, 2006 at 5:58:57 pm

Hi, I am going to be producing a training video for an orthodontic company who want me to film a procedure (orthodontic brace appplication). Cannot decide between a camera overhead on a jib arm or just having camera next to chair on tripod on, looking down. Also another camera will be filming wideshot in the room for cuttaways etc. Anyone done something like this ...... and what worked well.

Thanks - Martin.

Return to posts index

Bob WoodheadRe: Dental Procedure Filming
by on Nov 19, 2006 at 2:47:07 pm

... now spit....
I'd think it'd be much easier to get better angles and stay out of the way with a jib w/ remotes.

Return to posts index

JBaumchenRe: Dental Procedure Filming
by on Nov 20, 2006 at 6:56:39 pm

Why not rent one of those small lipstic cams that can be attached to a headband and put it on the dentist? That way you'll see what he/she is looking at.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Dental Procedure Filming
by on Nov 21, 2006 at 4:36:45 pm

While a jib overhead is steady, the views may get obscured and the angles may not be optimal. The lipstick cam on his head may not point correctly: one attached to the earpieces of his eyeglasses or goggles might work better, since it aims where he looks, but I'm thinking the best way to go is a lipstick cam hand-held by his dental assistant during the procedure. Might make a handle or grip stick to make it easier to hand-hold. The assistant already knows what to aim at that's most important, and this frees the dentist to do things undisturbed. So give the assistant the lipstick and a tiny monitor they can refer to. I have used a Sony LS-1 with good results: it can be fitted with a macro lens for the close-in work, and matched well with our PVV-1 Betacams when we used it. Elmo is another good brand. Units specifically made for medical/dental work are ideal but expensive and I have never heard of a place that rented them out. if this shoot is performed at a dental school, perhaps you can borrow their camera, as I'm sure they would have one as a teaching tool.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Dental Procedure Filming
by on Nov 29, 2006 at 10:13:25 pm

we did this a while back using a mini-dv camera on a boom. With a monitor in his/her line of sight, the dentist knows to keep out of the way. Plus shouting "get your head outta the way" helps too!
Getting in close enough was the problem, but a telephoto adapter would have helped. Your widest shot will probably be chin to nose. A proper broadcast camera with a lens with 2x extender is ideal, but support becomes an issue. Little room for a jib in your typical dental room.

Deep in the back of the mouth, the lipstick cam idea might work, but you need light in there also, and the camera itself may block the overhead light. Maybe use a video laparoscope with a light source. Not sure you could rent that, but maybe the doctor could get a demo from one of the manufacturers.

Return to posts index

The Matt HallRe: Dental Procedure Filming
by on Dec 12, 2006 at 3:19:13 pm

Another option is to try to mount a mirror above the patient. Then you can have your camera on sticks across the room and shoot into the mirror. Works for cooking shows.

Matt Hall
Hallway Media, LLC

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Dental Procedure Filming
by on Dec 12, 2006 at 6:15:13 pm

While that works for some setups, it introduces other problems. First, to do that right, you need a "first surface" mirror, one where the silvering is on the front of the glass, so as to prevent a double-image and image degradation. First-surface mirrors of a suitable size for this work are fragile and very expensive.

Second, you are adding distance to the focal length and may run into problems with depth of field and loss of a half-stop exposure, plus, any off-axis movements are magnified so framing can be tricky.

I did use a pair of mirrors once to make a sort of frameless telescope in a room to get a very specific type of telephoto shot, and this worked out well, so I'm not saying it's impossible or wrong, just that it may introduce additional complications you have to factor-in.

Return to posts index

Martin PhillipsRe: Dental Procedure Filming
by on Dec 12, 2006 at 7:23:24 pm

Thanks for the ideas. We filmed it just over a week ago. Used a lipstick cam supported on a mic stand pointing straight into mouth and it worked a treat. 2 other cameras (manned) round both sides. Got some really good angles. Dentist was careful not to obscure the lipstick cam which didn't seem to obstruct him. Oddly the dentist's light was not great on film and blew all the exposures, so worked without it and result was great.

Thanks, Martin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved