FORUMS: list search recent posts

Regarding my first corporate event; Pricing?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jdRegarding my first corporate event; Pricing?
by on Oct 23, 2006 at 6:31:34 pm

I'd just like to say thanks for all of the input regarding my first corporate event last month. Overall it went smooth I had two cameras, one on the balcony and straight on to the podium. The one up on the balcony worked ot good becuase it was nice to get an overall view of the room when the speakers were approching, leaving the podium and shaking hands.

My question is regarding pricing. There was an Author at this event who did a did a 35 minute speech to help promote his book(wich was on the Wall Street Best Seller list). He and his colleague want two DVD copies just for there own use , for review . They do not want it for broadcast or distribution.

Does anyone have an idea of how much to charge for this 35 minute speech?

Thanks for any input at all.

Best regards,

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: Regarding my first corporate event; Pricing?
by on Oct 23, 2006 at 9:22:26 pm

I had a similar request from an event I shot. I offered the presenter a burned-in time code window on a DVD for $100. I suggested that the burned in time code window will allow him to select any soundbites he wishes to use in an edited video. I'd be happy to edit that video for him. Turned into an editing gig for about $2,000!

If they are not interested, offer them the footage at a rate that seems worth your while. I would allso check with your corporate client first, since they paid for the shoot.

Glad to hear it went well! Congrats.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Regarding my first corporate event; Pricing?
by on Oct 25, 2006 at 6:27:12 pm

It seems to me, you need to be asking the speaker for permission to tape THEM, so the dubs for their personal archive should be done at cost or free, you bill the company that arranged for and paid the gig.

I think the idea of giving them a free or at-cost window dub is a good one: the window across the footage protects you from getting ripped off if they try to mass duplicate the speech, and it can be used to upsell the guy on an editing job later. However, you may have an ethics problem since the speech in that setting may be the intellectual property of the venue, i.e. the corporation owns the rights to it and any further use of it. This is what I would expect to hear, unless the contracts have this sorted out in advance.

Return to posts index

Bruce Bennett in Madison, WIRe: Regarding my first corporate event; Pricing?
by on Nov 4, 2006 at 5:44:51 pm

Mark has a great point. I worked for a Fortune 1000 company for 6 years and got to know the whole "corporate culture" very well. The corporation hired you - not the speakers. In my opinion, if you don't ask/notify your paying client on what they want you to do, then you've crossed the line. Plus, in their eyes, they probably feel they own the whole thing and it's not yours to sell/re-sell. You may get a lot more biz from the same client, you proabably won't get any addtional biz from the speakers.

Bruce Bennett,
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved