First Corporate Event

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jd
First Corporate Event
by
on Sep 15, 2006 at 7:51:58 pm

Hello ,
I will be shooting my first corporate event next week. It will take place in a large hall with about a 150 attendees. There will be one podium and my client basically wants me to capture the action at the podium.

My question: Does anyone have any suggestions on where to shoot from? How far back should I set up?

What about audio? Should I leave my iriver on the podium or rely on the sound system?

Thank you, any feedback is appreciated

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: First Corporate Event
on Sep 16, 2006 at 1:04:49 am

You'd want to get in touch with the AV guys at the venue...see if they'll provide a source audio feed from the mixer (if there is one.)
Also, scout the location to look at room layout and lighting concerns etc. Don't forget to try to get any kind of crowd shots just before or just after, or perhaps during a speaker changeover so you have something to cut from just in case. Ideally, one camera from the back medium locked off and getting the audio feed. A second closer from one side for a tighter shot.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

FischTale
on Sep 16, 2006 at 4:53:53 am

The previous post hit almost everything about a good setup for such an event. One thing I would add is that even if you can get a feed from the audio system, I would also put a wireless on the podium for your other channel. You never know what kind of quality you'll come across in the house AV and in the operators of that AV. It's best to have an audio source that you can also control yourself.

Return to posts index

jd
by
on Sep 18, 2006 at 11:54:43 am

Thank you all for the help. I appreciate it.

I have 3 more questions if any one would like to give any input:

By hooking up to the A/V company's audio feed you mean actually a chord coming from there board plugged into my mic input on my camera (or board) right?

Also I am very new at this , the event is 2 hours of speach at the podium . How much time of b-roll footage should obtain of the crowd and/or socializing to edit in post? Is 5 minutes plenty?

Does anyone know where there their are examples online of an effective well framed podium speech?

thanks again

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Sep 18, 2006 at 5:37:46 pm

1. Yes plucg in an audio cable from their audio board to your camera. Most often it will be a line out feed that you'll have to take as a line input into your camera. Don't use Mic inputs. As others suggested, you'd be better off adding a wireless mic to the podium and plugging that directly into your camera. I would ONLY use the audio feed from the house audio board as a back-up. Put your wireless in Channel 1 and their feed in channel 2.

Please make ure you use good headphones to monitor your audio.

2. For B-roll get as much as you can of people listening to another speech. Smiling, laughing, writing notes, nodding, applauding, etc. Get variety...groups shots of listening, two shots, three shots, etc. etter to have these shots and not need them then to need them and not have them.

3. Every podium shoot is different. Change your framing by zooming in and out leave some headroom. Honestly, shooting an event like this is only for those who know what they are doing. It's live TV...you can't get the audience and speakers to come back again...you have one shot at getting this. if you can't do it, back out now before it's too late.

Return to posts index

jd
Re: First Corporate Event Thanks Greg!
by
on Sep 18, 2006 at 6:31:36 pm

Greg thank you!

Return to posts index

nikolaus
on Sep 19, 2006 at 9:18:15 am

Just a word about connecting different sound sources to a [stereo] I/P on a camera:

>Put your wireless in Channel 1 and their feed in channel 2<

Be very careful with that as many cameras place a stereo compressor across the mic/line inputs and that might mess up any meaningfull signals.

A compressor basically automatically adjusts the volume to make sure that the audio trakc is not overloaded. A stereo compressor will look at both channels at the same time and compress BOTH channels even if the load signal that promted it into action only occurred in ONE of its channels.

In your case you will have completely different signals coming into the 2 channels. One might be permanently louder and thereby prompting the compressor to constantly modulate the volume of the other, softer signal needlessly (and very AUDIBLY) rendering it useless.

I only meniton this because a longtime ago I ran into that blindly thinking hey what a great thing I can record 2 different sources onto left and right and then mix them together later. No, couldn't as one channel was competely messed up level-wise ....

Nik C

Return to posts index

nikolaus
on Sep 19, 2006 at 9:18:37 am

Just a word about connecting different sound sources to a [stereo] I/P on a camera:

>Put your wireless in Channel 1 and their feed in channel 2<

Be very careful with that as many cameras place a stereo compressor across the mic/line inputs and that might mess up any meaningfull signals.

A compressor basically automatically adjusts the volume to make sure that the audio trakc is not overloaded. A stereo compressor will look at both channels at the same time and compress BOTH channels even if the load signal that promted it into action only occurred in ONE of its channels.

In your case you will have completely different signals coming into the 2 channels. One might be permanently louder and thereby prompting the compressor to constantly modulate the volume of the other, softer signal needlessly (and very AUDIBLY) rendering it useless.

I only meniton this because a longtime ago I ran into that blindly thinking hey what a great thing I can record 2 different sources onto left and right and then mix them together later. No, couldn't as one channel was competely messed up level-wise ....

Nik C

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Sep 19, 2006 at 3:11:02 pm

You say the event is 2 hours this length of time can pose some problems mainly you are going yo need to change tapes at least once. the pick up shots of the crowd can cover the video on this, audio however is another issue as you dont want to loose any part of the speeches.

If there are breaks in the program then perfict, but if all they are doinig is changing speekers that might not be enuff time to change tapes.

If you can record DTE using something like a Firestore drive you might be ok, however I would recomend 2 cameras and overlaping your tape changes (this also makes the video less stagnent and moor visualy appeling as you can cut between two different angles) And then for your master audio record to a seperite audio recording device capable of recording for the deration of the event.

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Sep 19, 2006 at 7:15:27 pm

Just keep in mind 2 Cameras = 2 camera operators and twice the amount of tape stock. It's always the best approach, but i suggest offering this option to the client first to see if they are interested. Of course audio gets more challenging here as now you need to send the same feeds to two cameras. If you quick enough changing tapes, just ppick the best time as a speaker ends the presentation, or some other break in the presentation.

Return to posts index

jd
by
on Sep 20, 2006 at 12:35:30 am

Thank you all for the input. I'm really psyched about this gig . All of this feedback has gotten me thinking and hopefully has better prepared me for the best... or the worst ! (I'll let you know how it turns out) But seriously, I feel I've done enough research and have adequate skills to provide the client with quality results.

I dont have access to a P2 or any other disk recording so this will all be done on miniDV. I am just going to have to change tapes at a break hopefully before an hour is up . Or I may change the tape quickly between speakers. My fingers are crossed.

I am going to use 2 camera's but only one will have an operator.

I am only going to have one audio feed going to my small board then into my main camera in front of the podium. Besides getting a feed onto DV I may bring a back up iriver.
I spoke with the sound and lighting company and they will be able to provide me with a feed. The good news is the stage is only between 12 and 15 feet from where I'm setting up the main camera and getting my feed from.
The sound company is bringing there own board because the house board is an acient Radio Shack model. The bad news is that directly behind the podium are huge , huge windows that let massive amounts of light in . The sound and lighting co. is bringing two RE(?) lights in, hopefully this will be enough to compensate the backlight.

I do have another question. There is a balcony at this place with a nice view of the hall and podium. Since my head on shot is only 12 to 15 feet away and there is a balcony,where would you set up the second camera? I was thinking the balcony but I'm not sure if it would be feasable since I'll be the only working the cameras.

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Sep 20, 2006 at 5:49:47 pm

The balcony sounds too far to me. How would you change the tape in the balcony camera? Why not have two cameras side by side one on a tight shot of the presenter, and one on a wide shot. Set the cameras to overlap, so when the tape on one ends the second camera is still rolling.

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Sep 20, 2006 at 5:49:51 pm

The balcony sounds too far to me. How would you change the tape in the balcony camera? Why not have two cameras side by side one on a tight shot of the presenter, and one on a wide shot. Set the cameras to overlap, so when the tape on one ends the second camera is still rolling.

Return to posts index

jd
by
on Sep 20, 2006 at 11:42:41 pm

Thanks Greg ! Awesome idea about the 2 cams side by side for a wide and tight shot and off-settting the record times. That's what I am going to do.
I'll just get some footage from balcony before the speaches for a quick intro piece.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

richar gard
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:24:25 am

Well, its good to get your first Corporate Event successful.I am also looking for los angeles corporate event location to organize my company’s event on next month. I searches for it and found your site and it is really very informative.

los angeles corporate event location

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]