FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT? - .mov files show up as white video only

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nikolausOT? - .mov files show up as white video only
by on Aug 29, 2006 at 11:48:35 am

Not sure if this Off Topic here, or where it would better fit in the multitude of forums here on the Cow.

My problem is:
I got to transfer video from the Mac to PC. The files come as a .mov file, but none of my PCs can read them propoperly. The right application (Quicktime) will open but instead of proper playback I only get playabck of white video and no sound. Same happens if I try any video application (Premier, PowerDVD, Windows Media Player, etc).

I occassinaly get the error message that Quicktime is missing some codecs (the most likely problem here in my opinion) but tghe included link takes me to a list of QT add ons, none of which seem really relevant to my situation, and the ones I tried certainly don't do anything to change the problem.

Does anyone know what's happening here?

Return to posts index

debeRe: OT? - .mov files show up as white video only
by on Aug 31, 2006 at 1:55:18 pm

A white screen usually means, as you have said, QT can't find the right codec.

It's possible the QT for the PC doesn't have the codec you need. What codec was used to make the file? Is it possible to remake it with a different codec that the PC has?

Return to posts index

nikolausRe: OT? - .mov files show up as white video only
by on Aug 31, 2006 at 2:59:32 pm

Yes, I am sure it si a codec issue. My client who is oputputting the file from Final Cut Pro, is doing so using 10bit Uncompressed PAL settings and has no clue about changing any parameters (and sits inFrance (I am in the UK) so Ican't just nipp over and change things...,

But I'll have a look at the Final C P manual and then send them instructions -

Return to posts index

epontiusRe: OT? - .mov files show up as white video only
by on Sep 10, 2006 at 6:18:40 pm

I just had this same problem. We recieved a logo animation spot from an ad agency in 10bit uncompressed MOV. Importing into the AVID or AE resulted in white video. Attempting to play it with QT gave a message about needing codecs. Having seen similiar problems with MOV using the AVID codec, I knew we were dealing with a codec problem. Problem was we didn't know what codec.
I dusted off a MAC G4 with FinalCut Pro installed. QT on this system played it just beautifully and the movie info showed it was using a Final Cut codec. I exported this directly out of QT pro using the Animation codec and we were able to import it to the AVID and AE as well as play it in QT on the PC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved