FORUMS: list search recent posts

NLE that combines After Effects and Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow_fan
NLE that combines After Effects and Premiere Pro
on Jun 27, 2006 at 12:10:20 am

Anyone knows what NLE to use that combines the power of After Effects and Premiere Pro? I like premiere pro but it's such a hassle doing one work in two separate programs. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: NLE that combines After Effects and Premiere Pro
on Jun 27, 2006 at 2:12:34 pm

???? The whole reason for buying those two is that they are very well integrated to work together.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jun 27, 2006 at 3:46:42 pm

The power of AE is based on rendering frames of pixels with no real playback clock, etc...an NLE has to playback at framerate and maintain a signal structure for monitor output, etc...

I think you'll find that AE is a poor NLE and PPro is nowhere near the compositing/GFX program that AE is...because it's simply not possible to serve both functions well. Any NLE that makes the claim that they have the capabilities of AE with the responsiveness of an NLE has been historically simply lying through their teeth in my experience.

TimK,

Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

cow_fan
on Jun 28, 2006 at 1:02:21 pm

Thanks for that information. The reason why I asked that is because I met two guys, in two different occassions: one told me that everything I can do with my Premiere Pro AND After Effects, he can do with his Pinnacle Liquid... and in less time because he told me Pinnacle renders "in the background" (whatever that means). The other guy told me same thing with his Sony Vegas. What can you say about those two programs (Pinnacle and Vegas)? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kathlyn Lindeboom
on Jun 28, 2006 at 7:07:15 pm

Since I've seen all three of these systems demoed (as well as others, of course), I thought I'd jump in with my two cents.

My suggestion is that you try to go someplace that you might get to watch demos of each of the systems -- preferably, even play with them a bit. Then think about what you want to do and how you want to start.

[cow_fan] "and in less time because he told me Pinnacle renders "in the background" (whatever that means)."

What this means, is that you can set up one effect and have it render while you're setting up another one. Very handy. And the Pinnacle Liquid system has a lot of built in effects. Maybe all you would need -- back to that "what do you want to do" thing.

Likewise, the Vegas NLE is quite nice and has a lot of built-in effects. For some, it's all they ever need. For others, they add After Effects to their tool set. You might do searches on our Vegas forums and Liquid forums as this question as been discussed so many times. If you asked in the LIquid forum, they'd tell you Liquid is the best. Likewise, the Vegans would tell you Vegas. Tim Kolb is a leader in our Premiere forum. Most of it is what do you want to do and how do you personally think ( meaning how does your brain work) -- and you won't really find that answer unless you go somewhere and actually see the systems working.

DV Expo East is in July in NYC. Many of the companies have road tours in cities across the US. Check with the various companies and see when a tour is coming near you and then sign up. Most of the NLEs have downloadable demos. Download them and try them yourself.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!

Return to posts index

cow_fan
on Jun 28, 2006 at 11:23:50 pm

Thanks Kathlyn. It's great that you have expos like the one you've mentioned. From where I live (Asia), I don't think we'll ever have those. Even editing tools (both software and hardware) here are either out of reach or too expensive. Anyways, probably when I'm lucky enough to get there in the US, I'll be able to attend those trade fairs and play with lots of toys! (read: editing tools).

Return to posts index

Kathlyn Lindeboom
on Jun 28, 2006 at 11:45:28 pm

[cow_fan] "From where I live (Asia), I don't think we'll ever have those."

Where in Asia are you? Broadcast Asia just happened in Singapore: http://www.eventseye.com/fairs/trade_fair_event_334.html

There's VFX Asia in Malaysia in September: http://www.biztradeshows.com/trade-events/vfx-asia.html

You might find others a little closer to home by googling. Is it possible that you might check with your local university and see what they're using. They might be willing to show you around their video department.

In the meantime, download the software demos and do searches in our forums and read through all the discussions everyone has already had.

Good luck.

Kathlyn Lindeboom

Return to posts index

cow_fan
on Jun 29, 2006 at 12:39:47 am

Philippines. Thanks for the advice.

Return to posts index

David Slater
on Jul 3, 2006 at 8:59:42 am

>DV Expo East is in July in NYC

don't think they are doing the east coast July show any more
the site only mentions the December 2006 show now

DAVE at Movies Rock in Toronto

Return to posts index

Kathlyn Lindeboom
on Jul 3, 2006 at 5:02:07 pm

[David Slater] "don't think they are doing the east coast July show any more
the site only mentions the December 2006 show now"

I hadn't thought so either, but I saw it in a recent corporate newsletter, so I thought it was on again.

Oops!

Kathlyn Lindeboom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]