system requirements

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robertbecsystem requirements
by on Jun 16, 2006 at 5:33:56 am

Hi there

is there a requirement on what type of editing program you should be using
say from FCP to AVID to PPRO2

i am using ppro at the moment but want to make the switch to avid because its the industry standard and i think knowing this program would get me more work and freelance work
am i correct or should i just upgrage my matrox card to axio le
or is FCP the way to go

Return to posts index

Jon ZanoneRe: system requirements
by on Jun 16, 2006 at 11:50:02 am

Well, assuming you are on a Mac (and taking into account I'm an Avid guy), I'd say go with FCP. Avid is picky about video cards, memory, CPU, RAM, - in short, look at Avid's site and check out the hardware requirements. FCP has a leg up because on Apple makes the Mac (and one of the reasons Apple and Avid had a falling out after years of sleeping together - but that's another story altogether).

If you are on a PC, then you can't go FCP...

"The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess. But He's pretty sure you're F%$#*D!"

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: system requirements
by on Jun 16, 2006 at 2:54:41 pm

Robert, Robert, Robert!

This is a question that is never resolved, everybody hs their own opinion about it, and it is argued incessantly. It's a religious discussion. Here is my take.

They are all tools, it is not the specific tool that makes the art, it is the artist.

You can make an identical program on Avid, FCP, Premiere, etc. Nothing intrinsic to the machines or software makes the work somehow "better". It depends almost entirely on the skills and artistry of the user. Don't base the decision on intangible snob appeal, but on the actual work product and what it costs to get that work product. Does the finished program work or not? Without specifically mentioning it on the tape, nobody can tell WHAT machine it was edited on.

Now, each of the tools has a little different "feel" to it's operation, and a good artist (when he can) picks the tool they are most comfortable with, which lets them then master that tool most efficiently. You can try free demo downloads of every major and minor NLE system. Play with each and see which one you like most. Then master the heck out of it.

Anybody can be cross-trained from one of these systems to another: you can even re-assign the hot keys and shortcuts to be identical from the system you used before, so on an FCP system you can set up all the buttons to work the same as Avid and you can work pretty much the same. So the platform is not (at least, should not be) the main reason you get hired; it's what you are able to DO with the platform, the skills and artistic sense you bring, that makes people want to hire you.

As to the argument that you get more and better work if you are trained on Avids, I feel that is partially marketing hype. You are just as likely these days to see an FCP suite or another type of editing suite as an Avid. More and more TV shows and even movies are edited on FCP as well as Avid. And there are probably more "seats" of Premiere in some flavor or another out there than FCP and Avid combined. While Avid cornered the high end pro market early, that lead has been steadily eroding as all NLE systems continually converge to having identical features. Don't believe that you can't edit for someone just because you don't have Avid experience. This would be like a construction company saying they can't hire you to drive their Caterpillar bulldozer because you have only driven a Komatsu bulldozer.

Some places might be narrow-minded like that, and refuse to even consider anything but a specifically certified Avid editor for their Avid suite. Well, if you want to work at that kind of place, you certainly can take a course and become certified. But certification is no substitute for talent: all certification does is prove you have memorized what buttons to push, and how the particular hardware likes to be configured, not what kind of creative decisions to make. The certification diploma is not going to be as important as your demo reel.

If your corporate office is starting up from scratch and you are asking about what system to put in, Avid is no longer the only safe or economically sound "default" answer to that question. You really need to analyze what kind of work you are going to be doing, then evaluate all the systems available, see what's the best fit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved