FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pal Commercial

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RandalJPal Commercial
by on Jun 8, 2006 at 6:03:50 pm

Hi there,

2 part question.
Setup: I've got an Adobe Editing suite set up for NTSC. Recently I've been asked to do a 30 second spot involving some mild motion in After Effects and some editing in Premiere. The source footage is all NTSC and stills. The target is international television broadcast or PAL.

Question1. What form is the typical deliverable? PAL beta tape? Usually here in the states the deliverable for Broadcast is NTSC beta tape that I've seen. Let's say it is PAL beta tape. Is it better to use Procoder to convert to PAL and deliver a PAL file to a vendor to then create a tape? Or is it cheaper to deliver an NTSC file to a vendor to then convert to PAL and create the tape.

Question2. What is the going rate these days for a 30 second spot involving primarily editing of existing footage? I want this account as it does a lot of domestic AND international advertising and I think this project could be used as a spring board into more projects.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to posts index

voxpopsRe: Pal Commercial
by on Jun 15, 2006 at 6:13:56 pm

Hi Randal,

In the UK at least, most TV stations either require or prefer Digibeta masters as the minimum spec. Also, it is not a good idea to use NTSC as the source for a commercial. You will be competing against extremely sophisticated commercials produced on 35mm, HD or Digibeta. All are produced 16:9 these days and even though, for the most part, they are transmitted PAL SD, their high-end source material is very obvious. 525 lines 30fps transferred to 625 lines 25fps is barely adequate at the best of times. If you were to go this route, at the very least you would need to convert using something at the Snell & Wilcox level.

If it were me, I would either suggest to the client shooting/creating the whole thing in PAL for that audience or sub-contracting a London commercials producer to recreate the project to the client's brief.

I think the "going rate" depends on your costs, time and your profit requirement.

Good luck,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved