FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video and Music Copyright Laws, Canada, Toronto

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TonyVideo and Music Copyright Laws, Canada, Toronto
by on Apr 7, 2006 at 8:22:12 pm

Video and Music Copyright laws, Canada, Toronto

Hello, not sure if Im in the right forum section so please put me on the right one if it isn't....

My question is with music used in produced videos. Promo videos or other, profitable gain or no prifit. What are the rules in LAW, that say we can use any tpe of music we want or we must use copyright free music or have obtained the rights to the music for that application etc.

My understanding of the Canadian Copyright Act is that the use of music in a promotional video falls under the "Acts Undertaken without motive of Gain" exemption of the act. I am not a lawyer, but this is what a professor at the Trebas film school teaches his students. Even music used in movie trailers is exempt from the copyright act with no licence required.

In reference to a waiver, people videotaped in a "public space" do not fall into consideration legally where a release or waiver is required. Otherwise every firefighter or police officer caught on camera, or any fan in the stands at a hockey game would be required to sign a waiver.But what a bout a family and child, or children on their own, that are playing in a park or wlaking on trails etc.

Please advise,
Thanks,
Tony

Return to posts index

tony salgadoRe: Video and Music Copyright Laws, Canada, Toronto
by on Apr 8, 2006 at 3:53:01 am

Another item to consider is what releases or copyright restrictions occur if the video is seen or shown outside of Canada where the laws are different?

TS

Return to posts index

cdolan369Re: Video and Music Copyright Laws, Canada, Toronto
by on Apr 13, 2006 at 5:25:18 pm

Tony,

Check out the 'Event Videographers' forum. This topic has been discussed quite a bit. Try a search of that forum, you may find the answers you seek.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]