FORUMS: list search recent posts

Plasma or DLP for Waiting Room Video...

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey GouldPlasma or DLP for Waiting Room Video...
by on Apr 1, 2006 at 4:48:05 pm

Hi, I have two clients that are both looking to show my videos/digital signage on Plasma screens and asked for my advice. I sent them one from Amazon.com based on reviews, but a local guy said do not buy a plasma due to burn in. Could anyone suggest a 42" screen that could be mounted and would work well with DVD video? Thank you.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

AlexRe: Plasma or DLP for Waiting Room Video...
by on Apr 2, 2006 at 3:58:36 am

Hi Jeffrey,

With digital signage we've only come across burn in on older plasmas and where there was static footage in frame for the whole time. Unless you have a logo that sits in the same spot you shouldn't have a problem. Also check out LCD screens which are quite good - not sure of cost where you are. More recently we have created signage using DLP projectors and special screens that allow rear projection and really give off a good image even in well lit areas. Nice for shops and larger areas where you can hide the projector behing the screen, in a waiting room it may not work - depends on space.

But to be honest, plasmas are still being used heavily for instore digital signage and as long as you keep things moving, you should be ok. Double check your resolution so it looks nice on the plasmas, you don't want your 4:3 footage stretched to 16:9 - and boxing it in on a widescreen plasma doesn't look too nice with the black bars either side.

Good luck.

Alex

http://www.lightdrop.com.au

Return to posts index

Jeffrey GouldRe: Plasma or DLP for Waiting Room Video...
by on Apr 2, 2006 at 3:12:27 pm

Thank you Alex. Digital Signage is just one part of the requirement, the other unfortunately is the video I made in 4:3 which I was concerned about. The stock footage I had to use was 4:3 so I had to go with it (Digital Juice's Video Traxx). I do have a 50" LCD at home and did the watch the 4:3 video on it and it didn't look bad. It's a sony and there is an inbetween mode called Wide Zoom which gently spreads the image out. Are LCD TV's thin enough to be mounted? Thanks again.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

AlexRe: Plasma or DLP for Waiting Room Video...
by on Apr 3, 2006 at 1:47:49 am

LCD TVs are comparable to Plasmas in regards to depths. They can be wall mounted, placed on stands etc. They don't have the burn in problem that plasmas can experience if this is a real concern. If your footage is already 4:3 then you may just have to use the widezoom function or simply live with the horizontal cropping...as you said, it looks good on your home display. Some things are not suited for LCD display due to how the technology functions and people's perception of the colour range LCD's have (or haven't) got.

Best thing would be to try a few out. Take the footage to a dealer and make them play it on a bunch of displays. We had to do that for a certain job simply because the production consisted of a lot of black and for the LCDs they were using couldn't show this as black as the plasmas. So in that case we went for plasmas, in other cases we have gone with LCD.

Best of luck.

Alex

http://www.lightdrop.com.au

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Plasma or DLP for Waiting Room Video...
by on Apr 4, 2006 at 3:24:56 pm

I don't trust plasmas due to the burn issue. If you use letterboxing, you will have a burn line evenually where the bars area will be clearer than the image area, if you go back to showing full-screen 7x9, the differnece in black level will be telling.

If you can't reformat the 3x4 video, why not use the rest of the screen real estate to create a colorful matted BG with some related info on it? For your particular application, this seems to be a great feature, nit just a "fix".

If it's a sort of sales information video in a waiting room, the matted area around the image can have text information on where to call, bullet points about the product/services, etc. Think of it like a web page space with a playback window within it. You might even freshen it up by maiing multiple versions that swap image and text areas around every once in a while, to delay a burn-in and to refresh audience attention.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey GouldRe: Plasma or DLP for Waiting Room Video...
by on Apr 4, 2006 at 4:19:46 pm

Thanks guys. I see there is a difference of opinion on the plasma. Mark your suggestion on the images around the video are pure genius. Of course that defeats an add on that I was going to offer...digital signage, but maybe it can work the way you suggested. Do you think it will be over stimulation for the viewer? I've never worked with 16:9, so I might need help with that in a different thread. Thanks Mark for the excellent idea.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]