FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hybrid Edit Systems?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ChxeditorHybrid Edit Systems?
by on Mar 23, 2006 at 8:41:28 pm

Is there such an animal? A NLE editor (like an avid) that also has traditional machine to machine editing thru a switcher. It seems like the perfect solution to me. Sometimes we want to work quick and just run tapes; other times we want to have non-Linear capabiity.

Just wondering ... NAB is right around the corner.

Editor, Muscular Dystrophy Association

Return to posts index

Jon ZanoneRe: Hybrid Edit Systems?
by on Mar 24, 2006 at 12:36:35 pm

Aacom (since deceased) had something, I think called Editware. I also seem to remember the CMX line evolved (or spun off) something as well, but I don't remember what.

"So you want to throw out the old you - but the old you is old enough to know it won't make it better"
Del Amitri - "Make it Better"

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Hybrid Edit Systems?
by on Mar 24, 2006 at 3:39:59 pm

Editware and Aacom are separate entities. Editware, has for some time offered a "hybrid" system as described by the OP.
There is also at least one Mac-based app, whose name escapes me, that provides a simple user interface and ability to control a pair of machines, provided you have the proper RS-422 interfaces.

True, sometimes all you need for many simple tasks is a pair of machines and a switcher or audio mixer.
A facility I work at kept its Editware controller active in the production control room to assemble show reels, add slates or do one-pass audio fixes or logo adds, leaving the Avids free for actual editing.

Return to posts index

Mike_SRe: Hybrid Edit Systems?
by on Mar 24, 2006 at 10:46:40 pm

Didn't Newtek's Toaster / VT4 do something like this (if in 8 bit)?

Return to posts index

ChxeditorRe: Hybrid Edit Systems?
by on Mar 24, 2006 at 11:28:48 pm

I was hoping to find a current system that might handle both linear & non-linear editing. The Toaster is long gone, the Axial has unlinear capability when used with a DDR; it lays off footage to the DDR and then re-assembles the EDL. The Editbox can control 2 VTRs but it becomes a cuts only system.

Thank you for the suggestions ... I think its hopeless, but the search continues.

Return to posts index

Mike_SRe: Hybrid Edit Systems?
by on Mar 25, 2006 at 11:15:49 am

Toaster long gone? I thought it just morphed into the VideoToaster 4 - VT4 ...

Have a look at

at the currebnt newtek site ...

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Hybrid Edit Systems?
by on Mar 25, 2006 at 5:15:42 pm

FAST used to be such a hybrid system, but is no longer available AFAIK.

Another way to do this is to take an existing linear suite and replace one record deck with a Tektronics Profile Digital Disk Recorder (DDR). This gives you the layering capability of D-2's with pe-read, coupled with the speed of linear, and the ability to clone any shot losslessly for infinite ABCD>>etc roll effects.

I feel bittersweet about this idea; we wanted very much to do this in our one-inch bay, but the prices for the profiles were obscene: we could have afforded to buy a complete new NLE room for the cost of the Profile.... and we did.

BTW, Toasters are better than ever: we eventually added a VT4 to our linear room instead of the Profile. It comes with it's own NLE system, DVD production tools, CG, DVE, paint, animation.... quite a lot there for your dollar. Not quite as samless integration as the profile, but way cheaper.

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Hybrid Edit Systems?
by on Mar 25, 2006 at 6:56:23 pm

I think as a product, a hybrid editor has typically been seen as something that COMBINES the two workflows as opposed to something that offers them as options...and that historically made no sense to most buyers.

I think traditionally that this is why there has been difficulty getting these units to sell.

I suspect that most users are willing to base their workflow on NLE these days...though there are obviously workflows where deck-to-deck would be far more efficient.

Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,

Return to posts index

ChxeditorRe: Hybrid Edit Systems?
by on Mar 27, 2006 at 4:04:11 pm

Thanks for the posts everyone. I didn't realize that the Toaster was still active; I'm going to check into it and maybe get a demo at NAB.

Return to posts index

DrewfusRe: Hybrid Edit Systems?
by on Apr 4, 2006 at 8:25:06 pm

Velocity from Letich/Harris/DPS had the ability to control a switcher and a live input in version 8.2. I don't know if version 9 can dothat or not.

Return to posts index

Paul CoreyRe: Hybrid Edit Systems?
by on May 28, 2006 at 4:06:36 am

The Fast VM works only with windows 98 or 95 and needs ISO slots, I think that's what they are called. 3 of them if you want YUV output so you need a old PC. It works in real time because the boards do all the work not the PC. This is a link to the last place I know to find a Fast system in the world if he still does. he is in Chicago, IL

I have a system but NLE board call the DPR failed, but the Linear board still works and I use it as a live switcher for my friends cable TV show.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved