FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interactive DVD for Museum...

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey GouldInteractive DVD for Museum...
by on Mar 8, 2006 at 11:51:12 pm

Hi, I received a phone call today from a potential client who needs existing videos converted to DVD with additional materials for a Lighthouse Museum. The catch is: they want it to be interactive, but not have a computer or remote control that can be damaged or stolen. They plan to have a 42" plasma on the wall, but they need a way to control the navigation.

Are there any products on the market (I looked at the site that Charlie suggested a few posts down,but didn't really see anything relevant) such as a box with a control panel that can be mounted to a podium, where the viewer can navigate and then have the DVD player hidden behind a wall? they realize they will have to purchase some type of equipment to do this. I will do the authoring using Encore 2.0. She mentioned touch screen, but that won't work as the monitor will be mounted on the wall. Appreciate any feedback you can offer. thanks

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Thomas LeongRe: Interactive DVD for Museum...
by on Mar 9, 2006 at 6:12:51 am

You may want to look up some of the following for touchscreen control panels -

or contact their dealer nearest to you to see how you can work together.

If you are up to programming the touchscreen panels yourself, look up -

Generally, the DVD player to be controlled must have a serial input (RS-232) such a the Pioneer V7400. It is a more expensive than your run-of-the-mill home DVD player.

But nowadays, for such types of playback, harddisk or compact flash cards are the way to go. For such cases, google for 'MPEG2 controllers' and you'll get a whole list of choices. One of the cheapest is an MPEG-2 Digital Player called DV-66 from Medeawiz

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Jeffrey GouldRe: Interactive DVD for Museum...
by on Mar 10, 2006 at 12:07:59 am

Thank you Thomas for the excellent starting points and info. I did find the Pioneer drive you mentioned. There are controllers that control your chapters in the DVD or touch screen panels. I'll use your links...thank you again.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved