FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage from corporate events

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin BankFootage from corporate events
by on Feb 13, 2006 at 4:01:57 pm

Hi, we are a small company that make corporate videos of events, businesses. I have a question about lighting and using our JVC DV500 camera.

Lately the light/staging company that we work with has setup events with dazzling background lighting (which wows its clients) without putting any decent lighting on the podium/speakers.

The result is our footage is turning out terrible as the camera struggles to see the speakers and our background is overblown. Despite our efforts to correct this with the lighting company, I was wondering if there were some tips you had in using the camera to help compensate for this.

We use manual settings on the camera but I am wondering if maybe if we used a different filter setting (3500k, or the outdoor with ND filter perhaps would be better?) or perhaps using stretch black setting?

Any advice you guys have is greatly appreciated.

Robin Bank

Return to posts index

tony salgadoRe: Footage from corporate events
by on Feb 18, 2006 at 4:36:42 pm

No excuse for poor subject lighting,

The staging company primary concern is the environment not the subject. If the primary client complains you must instruct them to force the staging company to comply or hire your own gaffer lighting company to deal with the subject lighting only.

A quick suggestion is to soften up the subject lights instead of using spot lighting on them which can be harsh.

You also can ask the intensity to be lowered to match the background levels so the overall scene does not look so blown out or overexposed.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Marc RolphRe: Footage from corporate events
by on Feb 21, 2006 at 6:57:07 pm

A good lighting company will take into consideration that the event is being shot on video when setting up their scheme. Your filter would only be determined by what kind of lights they are using.

Sounds like you need to talk to the project manager for the lighting company, and request that subject lighting gets a little more attention. Sometimes, and I'm as much a culprit as anyone, lighting is done for asthetics before it's done for practicallity. But, it might look good to the eye, but if that camera isn't getting good won't look good on video.

If they are trying to blow out your's gonna be hard for you to get a nice even shot.

Marc Rolph
Mississippi State University

"If you chase two rabbits, both will get away."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved