FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corporate video company...

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
LittlekaitlynCorporate video company...
by on Jan 15, 2006 at 5:49:39 pm

hi there,

I'm thinking of setting up a corporate video company with my friend, aiming at local medium size businesses. For the guys here who run such a company, what is demand like, assuming good local and national (via internet, adwords etc) advertising? We will have to invest a lot in advertising, especially locally, so some statistics on this would be great. Thanks

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Corporate video company...
by on Jan 16, 2006 at 3:12:33 pm

I'm not sure there are a lot of meaningful statistics.

The size of the community is part of it, but...

The kinds of companies that are there are part of it too, in addition...

The philosophy of "media use" of those companies is a factor, also...

How many competitors are already in the market will affect you, and...

Your background/experience relative to your competition is important, which will probably impact...

Fees/rates in relationship to your competitors, which should take your superior/similar/lesser experience and knowledge into account.

...all these factors intertwine to the point that I don't think statistics of this type are really transportable from place to place.

Bottom line is that you'll need some intuition on the market itself...and having a client or two ready to go would be the best way to start. Advertising is not a long-term method of building these types of businesses. Getting "face-time" with people after a referral has been made is the ideal way to build it, though advertising will help.

I wish I had a "Get rich fast in independent corporate media" guide to share with you...but if I knew of one, I'd probably want to read it first.

Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,

Return to posts index

BobRe: Corporate video company...
by on Jan 16, 2006 at 4:55:17 pm

Advertising won't cut it for what you're trying to sell - you need MARKETING. Zero advert budget, 100% marketing budget. You need to chat up the people that count, show them your stuff, keep coming back months later after they say there's "nothing now". Build a reel showing the kind of work you're selling. even if you have to create it gratis. You need to build REALATIONSHIPS, not grab eyeballs for impulse buys.

Return to posts index

shooterRe: Corporate video company...
by on Jan 29, 2006 at 12:33:17 am

I have a producer friend in a small one-company town. This Fortune 500 company dominates this town. They were using one company for all their videos. My friend offers a significantly better product without a jump in price. It took him over 2 years to get one project from this company. He blew them away with the quality/cost. Took another 9 months to get the second project. Entrenchment, inertia, loyalty all play a big part in corporate video production.
Good luck.

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Corporate video company...good post shooter
by on Feb 2, 2006 at 3:33:06 am

You nailed it. Couldn't have said it better.

When I moved back to Wisconsin after living in Hawaii for 10 years, I had a great reel and lots of experience. It took three years to break into the community. It was a lot harder to work myself into those relationships than I had expected. Now, I appreciate greatly the clients and colleagues I have earned over the years and am glad to have accomplished something.

But it wasn't without a lot of determination, believing in what I do, and passion that I got the work.

You got it exactly right, shooter.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

artyRe: Corporate video company...good post shooter
by on Feb 2, 2006 at 6:52:49 pm

hawaii to wisconsin...

holy smokes...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved