FORUMS: list search recent posts

mini DV playback deck?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Stonermini DV playback deck?
by on Jan 11, 2006 at 6:01:43 pm

i need a mini DV deck that i will use for playback only. only a couple hours use per week. just something to dump raw footage into my editing system. after all these years, i'm surprised that the best price i can find is the JCV miniDV/SVHS deck for $700.00.

anyone know any other options?? hate to sink that much $$ into something that won't be used much. i've considered buying an inexpensive miniDV camera to use as my playback deck but i don't think they're built for that kind of use, even in small doses.

thanks!

js

Return to posts index

ChxeditorRe: mini DV playback deck?
by on Jan 11, 2006 at 6:11:50 pm

I've had the original JVC minidv/VHS deck for years and have never had a problem with it. Plus it makes great VHS copies and I also use it digitize in VHS when I've had to. On the other hand, a cheap camera should work just fine, make sure it has analog thru-put, not all of them do, for looping to a monitor. If you don't use it much and digitize a whole tape at a time, it should work for years.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey StonerRe: mini DV playback deck?
by on Jan 11, 2006 at 6:15:13 pm

i've had it for probably two years. i probably put 3-4 hours a week use on it. the audio started dropping out. just got the estimate from the service center -- $480.00 to replace everything that needs replacing (basically the entire playback mechanism). don't know what to do!

Return to posts index

Jon ZanoneRe: mini DV playback deck?
by on Jan 12, 2006 at 12:30:53 pm

I agree with Chxeditor - we've had the JVC unit for about a year, and have had no problems. It's cheaper than a DSR11, and in addition to the benefits Chxeditor mentioned, if for whatever reason you need to get a TV signal into your machine, you hook up your cable, autotune the tuner and voila'! Not that anyone would do that without permission, seeing as how it is copyright and all....

Jon

"So you want to throw out the old you - but the old you is old enough to know it won't make it better"
Del Amitri - "Make it Better"

Return to posts index

cowcow
Jeffrey StonerRe: mini DV playback deck?
by on Jan 12, 2006 at 12:43:45 pm

thanks for the advice. but even more importantly, thanks for the del amitri quote! they're the best band ever. :)

Return to posts index

ChxeditorRe: mini DV playback deck?
by on Jan 12, 2006 at 4:40:51 pm

well ... now I've gotta check out this band. I'm not familiar with Del Amitri - "Make it Better". I'm still stuck on all my old favorites from the late 60s, early 70s. sad. I know.

I want to reiterate Jon's note. I did hook up cable tv thru the JVC to my avid fairly reguarly. I used to build presentations from air checks for a client and they would get me VHS tapes, but when I knew the schedule I would directly record into the Avid off the air and the quality was fantastic.

Return to posts index

cowcow
Jon ZanoneOT - DelAmitri
by on Jan 12, 2006 at 6:24:06 pm

DelAmitri ROCKS! Well at least they used to. 'Change Everything' is the best divorce album ever!

I got into them when I lived in England. Besides 'Roll To Me', I thought I was the only one in the States that had heard of them!!!

Jon
(Still rockin' to Hendrix, Clapton and Eddie on my iPod!)

"So you want to throw out the old you - but the old you is old enough to know it won't make it better"

Return to posts index

cow
Jeffrey StonerRe: OT - DelAmitri
by on Jan 12, 2006 at 7:22:56 pm

i've got a collection of over 5000 cd's -- massive music collector -- and "change everything" is in my top 10 ever.

my favorite line "the steps of this stone church / are peppered with confetting hearts / like a million little love affairs waiting to fall apart".

js

Return to posts index

Jon ZanoneRe: OT - DelAmitri
by on Jan 12, 2006 at 10:20:40 pm

That's a great one - I love the imagery of 'Be My Downfall'. I can smell the diesel when I hear that song. The twist at the end is great - you realize he's been seeing this girl all along.

Jon

Return to posts index

artyRe: OT - DelAmitri
by on Feb 2, 2006 at 6:59:22 pm

i used to do an afternoon show at a local tv station and del amitri was one of our guests...
they came completely blitzed out of their minds !
they couldn't get thru the song...it was one of my favorite on air moments of my career !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]