FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD window dubs of camera masters

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig SeemanDVD window dubs of camera masters
by on Nov 20, 2005 at 7:27:06 pm

I'm thinking about workflow and billing for DVD window time code dubs of camera masters for hourly rate clients. I'm wondering how you handle rates.

When shooting on DV/DVCAM I can record (a fairly croweded) display out of the deck to a consumer DVD recorder. Looks a bit messy and I worry about disk compatibility issues when recording to consumer DVD recorders. For this though I can simply charge my dub rate based on length.

I can do a cleaner DVD Window TC burn from my NLE (FCP). That involves capturing the tape and using the internal TCR filter. That can play realtime out to tape (or consumer DVD recorder). To burn the DVD internally the TCR filter must be rendered (seems to be about real time on my 'puter) and burned to DVD (which is about real time on my 'puter). This workflow is 3x real time. This means I'd have to charge triple my dub rate.

I'm wondering what you folks do for DVD window dubs?

For non hourly rate (package) clients going the computer route is easier since the capture is valuable for the edit.

Return to posts index

Michael D. BrownRe: DVD window dubs of camera masters
by on Nov 21, 2005 at 1:55:50 pm

You did not mention which deck you are using as your source. We use a DSR 1600 player that allows placing the tc window anywhere. You could also use an external window burner, such as a Horita WG-50. We recorder to a Panasonic T2020 for this sort of thing, and it works quite well. I've never had a playback problem.
BTW, we also make DVD window scoring prints with TC on audio ch 2. My composer loves this.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer
American Heart Association

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: DVD window dubs of camera masters
by on Nov 21, 2005 at 2:20:32 pm

Just using a DSR-11 deck. Not worth spending a lot of money on a solution since window dubs aren't very profitable. Would be nice if a deck like the DSR-11 could simply turn off all data but the TC. Not sure if I want to spend $700 for a recorder that's not all that profitable to me. I'm thinking more like $150 (cheap consumer). For outputting edit sessions I can encode/record to the computer's burner in what amounts to real time and include a decent menu and chapter markers. I do like the idea of Ch2 TC though. I've gotten requests for that now and then. Most of my clients are using stock music, though not all.

How do you price your window dubs, TC Ch2 dubs relative to other dubs?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 22, 2005 at 2:09:59 pm

The cost to clients is the same as a regular dupe to/from these formats. We're in-house and very cheap.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer

Return to posts index

by on Nov 23, 2005 at 5:20:47 am

Thanks that's what I need to know. Do you ever bump into compatibility issues with your direct to DVD dubs? Are you using DVD-R or DVD+R?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 23, 2005 at 1:29:35 pm

We use only Verbatim 16x DVD-R, with no problems. However, I have had problems with DVD+R sent to me from outside sources.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: DVD window dubs of camera masters
by on Nov 24, 2005 at 5:13:25 am

I would look at the issue this way: window dubs are supposed to save you from clogging precious drive space with unwanted/un-needed clips. Digitizing "everything" just to make the DVD TC window dub, before they even come back with selects, doesn't save you any drive space, it probably costs you drive space, if you don't have an easy way to dump the extra trims from the drive (consolidating media).

If your clients, after looking over the DVD, can hand you an easy to use/import log file or EDL for the batch digitizing job, that's going to save you lots of time. Now, does the "paper edit" using the DVD save more time or money than the digitizing of the entire footage into the NLE? Probably it does. For sure, digitizing into the NLE first takes some measurable amountmore time and energy on your part, and may tie up the system from making money on someone else's project.

So I guess if it was me, the way I'd look at it is, I'd dump right from the TC-burn feature of the deck, and not bring it into the NLE first. And charge a lower rate, just enough to cover incidental wear and tear, and the black stock. Margins are tight, and the "value-added" DVD window burn service can be one of he things that distinguish you from competitors.

Return to posts index

Mike SchrengohstRe: DVD window dubs of camera masters
by on Nov 28, 2005 at 2:02:04 pm

After the shoots, TC DVD window dubs are provided "free".
Coming from a 60 min DV tape is no big deal. I put each
tape on it's own DVD. Now if they want more than one I can
charge for that. It's just a little extra I provide. Clients
hate being dimed & dollared to death.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 28, 2005 at 3:19:47 pm

On a corporate DV shoot on an hourly rate they're paying alacart. I only include when they're paying for a package. I'm finding many of my corporate clients want to pay day rates rather than for a package. Corporate conferences are good example, We'll end up with 3-6 hours of video for a day shoot (multiple cameras).

I'm concerned about DVD compatibility with set top recorders. Having to redo dubs can be a real time killer for a small shop.

Return to posts index

John FishbackRe: DVD window dubs of camera masters
by on Dec 17, 2005 at 7:25:21 pm

I've never had an issue with a set top player. The rare problem has been with computers playing the DVD. We always use DVD-Rs from Taiyo Yuden.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.3 QT7.0.3

Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800

FCP Studio 5

Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN

ATTO UL4D driver 3.50

AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28

SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]