FORUMS: list search recent posts

export to web best format

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robertbecexport to web best format
by on Nov 17, 2005 at 5:19:03 am

Hi there

i have just scored my first corporate job and the client would like to use it on the web.
what is the best format to use for export to the web
the client wants to make there own copies they just want me to set it out and have it in the correct format am i entitled to make money on each copy that they make

Return to posts index

Dave BarnesRe: export to web best format
by on Nov 18, 2005 at 8:52:40 am

We export a lot of web video in wmv format, however you need to play with the peramiters to get the best look for the MB size desired.. as far as copies, when you do a job for hire, and you complete the project, they own it and can make all the dubs they want. As a producer, your rights end when they pay for the product. Instead of worring about the dub money, why not develop a good relationship with this new client and ask them for refurals and for more business...

Return to posts index

andy stintonRe: export to web best format
by on Nov 18, 2005 at 11:44:26 pm

From my point of view QT gives you better quality however Medai Player is the favorite amongst webmasters.

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Timothy AllenRe: export to web best format
by on Nov 19, 2005 at 1:54:23 am

When we compress for the web, for our clients we give them quicktime and windows versions. The gamma is different between them so it's nice for visitors to the web to have at least that much choice, so they don't have to view video that was compressed for a Mac on a PC (which will show up dark) or vice versa.

Actually, we usually give them small medium and large sizes of each format.

What it really comes down to though is providing what they need... and they may not know exactly what that is in pure technical terms. It's your job to translate their requests into what technically meets their desired results. So..first you should discuss the desired end-results with them...see what they intend to offer to visitors on the website. (Not only file size limits and formats, but also things like do they want it to be easily downloaded or will it be streamed etc.) Their needs will determine the way you create the movie files.

Ultimately, since "one size" does not usually fit all, this discussion translate into more opportunities for you.

Remember, your job isn't so much providing a compressed movie, it's providing help towards the goals they want accomplish. The first step in doing that is understanding what those goals are. Contrary to most common wisdom, sometimes it's best to start from the end rather than the beginning.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: export to web best format
by on Nov 19, 2005 at 1:38:08 pm

Remember, your job isn't so much providing a compressed movie, it's providing help towards the goals they want accomplish.

Getting exactly to the point like this is why you, Tim, are the man!

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: export to web best format
by on Nov 19, 2005 at 4:18:30 pm

There are a few different approaches for this depending on the dub order.

Offer to do it if you can handle the volume and you can price competitively. If you're not set up to do the volume you may not want to tie your equipment down.

Offer to handle it. Outsource and mark up for your oversight and risk.

Simply recommend a good affordable dub house who, because they're a dub house, aren't likely to attempt to steal the client. I often do this. Clients really feel I'm looking out for the interests and I've saved them time hunting for a dub house. This is a good way to insure they'll come back for more production/post production work. Call the dub house and let them know your refering business to them. Some will even mark it up and kick money back to you for the referral. In this way you're making money based on the dub order but the dub house is handing the client the bill. Of course you can decide to take nothing and the dub house will offer the lower price directly to the client and you still profit by the bargain you've gotten for your client and their likelihood for return business.

Web export.
Think about the client's target market. Dialup, broadband (and the typical range of speed in that region). Is the client pushing a higher priced service/product or one looking for broad appeal? I find entertainment type clients like Quicktime. Quicktime is also good if the potential customers are likely to jog through frame by frame. For most though WMV provides better compatibility since many PC folks won't/don't know how/can't add Quicktime to their computers for various reasons. Some say Flash but the web geek has to know how to integrate it for proper effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved