FORUMS: list search recent posts

Library Management

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duane HurdLibrary Management
by on Aug 5, 2005 at 7:33:50 pm

My company's video library (edited masters and camera originals) is managed using Excel and Access. Does anyone have any recommendations on better way?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Library Management
by on Aug 6, 2005 at 7:33:25 pm

The most awesome app i've seen for this is called "Schedu-All".
Oprah and the BBC use it.

It consists of various modules, so you can buy the functionality you actually will use, a la carte.

It has the ability to not only track every tape and shot you have, but also to schedule all the staff, shooting gear, post rooms and individual pieces of gear, from client sessions to maintenance schedules, etc etc.

It is ruinously expensive if you buy the whole kit and caboodle, but it could be worth it anyway.

Return to posts index

Kevin SioRe: Library Management
by on Aug 8, 2005 at 12:57:38 pm

I work for a utility in the northeast. We have tons of material going back into the 80s. It is libraried with Access and we find that it works fine. Accurate inputting is the key. Quite a few years ago a secretary (who did not want to do the job) was assigned to input tapes. We ran into 2 problems: first, the inputting was very inaccurate, mis-spellings, wrong locations etc; the second was that she had no idea what was on the tapes and simply entered what was written on the box. We can all be a little sloppy in the field sometimes, "field tape 3" doesn't really tell you much a few years later.

Much better to have a person involved with the shoot or project library.

Kevin Sio
Corporate Communications
National Grid

Return to posts index

EvolutionRe: Library Management
by on Aug 9, 2005 at 2:16:11 pm

My company is relatively new ( just over a year ), and has a small library but building. We had the benefit of starting from scratch before things the library was on different formats and large. We opted for Alpha Five and built our own databases and interfaces. I built it myself without too much of a headache even on my minimal computer skills. Works great for us, but I don't know much about Access so I don't know what advantages it may provide. Just another one to check out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved