FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting multiple presentations including PowerPoint

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Shooting multiple presentations including PowerPoint
on Nov 6, 2019 at 6:06:17 pm

Hi there,

I'm working on a project where there will be 7 presentations going on at the same time in different rooms. That means a total of 7 Cameras and operators each day. Each presentation will have a presenter and PowerPoint slides. So my initial thought is to have an Atomos recorder record the slides and audio, so when it comes time to edit, I can just treat this as a 2 camera shoot.

Otherwise I may be caught several times not knowing what slide to insert during editing.

My other thought os for each camera op to also provide a cheap camera to shoot a wide reference shot of each presenter and screen with room audio. Then I can match them up and drop in the slides during editing.

Any thoughts or suggestions. This would be 4-5 hours of presentations a day X 7 for 4 days.

Thanks so much!

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Shooting multiple presentations including PowerPoint
on Nov 6, 2019 at 8:19:22 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Nov 6, 2019 at 8:21:13 pm

I face this kind of thing all the time in my work. You are on the right track. Get a clean audio feed to the Atomos to grab the powerpoints as an iso recording. I also applaud and second your idea of adding cheaper wide shot cam for cut-aways and backup audio. For this, I have three identical Cannon Vixias that are 2k consumer camcorders. On battery they run about two hours but on AC of course all day and with a 132GB SDXC card in each, I have days of shooting time in each one. Though they are consumer grade, they have mic inputs so I can give them a clean feed from the audio board or external shotgun.

How I generally use the untended Vixias is, they stay on wide cover shots, giving me the cut-away I need to cover a fast snap zoom and pan with my main camera to things like audience Q&A speakers popping up, or just tracking the speaker as they wander the stage. I've found it handy with stage-walker type presenters to put one Vixia on the far left or right of the stage and frame it so as to compress the horizontal distance the speaker travels. One on each side this way makes multicam coverage look way better. Multicam in FCPX or Premiere Pro, using audio, is a breeze and I find I can cut these in faster than real-time by skimming in JKL mode and hitting the number keys like it was a live switch.

Used Vixias like mine sell on amazon and ebay for around $150 to $250, though I got one matching unit at a pawn shop for $75 and it was in perfect shape.

I've also used a Vixia as a cheap way to grab powerpoints off the projection screen, with synched audio, then I can use this as a fast guide for replacing the slides with clean ones in post.

I often edit direct from the native MP4 files but for high stakes work I first convert to prores 422 before editing ingest.

Consider too: 4K go-pros or their knockoffs, can be set up without the fisheye and make for a decent cut-away cam sometimes as well. With 4K footage feeding a 2K master, you have the option of being able to make some synthetic moves like zooms and pans or re-frames, in a limited way.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Nov 8, 2019 at 7:05:43 pm

Thanks Mark,

I never thought about a GoPros. That's an interesting idea.

But I think the Atomos would be best and quickest to edit from.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 8, 2019 at 8:14:03 pm

Well I don't use "real" go pros, I use a knockoff brand that costs around fifty bucks but they are still 4K, have a built-in screen and offer most of the same features. Cheap insurance.

I mount them with a "skeleton" frame that fits a standard threaded photography tripod screw, like the Vixias, and allows for external power. The fisheye effect can be dialed-out in-camera using a menu setting, which I don't do in-camera because it reduces the resolution to accomplish the flattening, so I un-bulge it in post.

I can stick one on top of my P2 camera and know I have a wide cover shot of whatever I'm pointing at with the P2. The cards fit an adapter and slide right into my iMac, editing has not been any problem.

GoPros being small an unobtrusive and be stuck in useful angles and places on and around a stage and etc. in a way that doesn't call attention to them or intimidate people. Sticking one next to the ppt projector lets the auto-iris expose well for the screen and not the room. But I'd still just use it for a guide to replacement slides, generally.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]