FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming an artist and gallery

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Gene WeglarzFilming an artist and gallery
by on Jan 11, 2017 at 5:36:10 pm

I have a project filming an artist and his paintings, inspirations, technology (fractals), etc.

I have pushed for a storyboard of a timeline; working with Dali, learning with Dali, early works, lessons learned and next phase, current phase, etc.

But, the client doesn't want a story. They just want a video with each painting, describing aspects I mentioned above.

Their attempts at a story are just "thoughts" and do not flow from one to the other.

Has anyone else had this experience and come up with a method that brings a flow as well as a gestalt feeling for the piece or pieces?

Thanks,

Gene

G. Weglarz

MSI Intel I7 5960X 16 Core @ 4.4GHz; 32GB Ram;
NVidia GTX 780ti; 60TB storage; Four Asus 27" monitors

Adobe CC 2015
Cinema 4D R16

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Filming an artist and gallery
by on Jan 11, 2017 at 9:27:43 pm

This may be one of those jobs where the story is uncovered by finding it in the interviews. Your subject isn't a linear thinker; neither was Dali. Throw out the conventional shooting script; you can't force this type of artist into that mold. rather, use the right interview techniques, as well as the Socratic Method, to tease out the underlying fundamentals a bit at a time, from each piece "encountered", and then a "debriefing" after having looked at the art together.

And maybe while you're obviously trying to make a documentary, maybe all they really wanted was a catalogue video of the pieces: quiet interludes with montage segments built from close-ups and tracking pans across the work, etc. In which case, you go find OTHER people to depose about their reactions to the work, and giving bits of context, etc.

Return to posts index

Gene WeglarzRe: Filming an artist and gallery
by on Jan 12, 2017 at 5:30:09 pm

That was a perfect answer! It's for an NGO think tank I am working with and they focus on philosophy, the arts, performing arts, music, etc. I'm part of the organization, with a few different roles. The NGO website is not a finished product; we're only a few months old. But you can get an idea why your answer was perfect.

http://www.ennoble.global

Me. I rely almost always on visual storytelling.; beginning, middle, and end. And everyone rejected it.😠

http://www.fluidproductions.com

Thanks again!

Gene

G. Weglarz

MSI Intel I7 5960X 16 Core @ 4.4GHz; 32GB Ram;
NVidia GTX 780ti; 60TB storage; Four Asus 27" monitors

Adobe CC 2015
Cinema 4D R16

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]