FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wedding Expo tips

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lesante Jr.Wedding Expo tips
by on Oct 9, 2016 at 12:27:09 am

I'll be attending my first wedding expo to sell my videography services.

Can anyone give me some do's & don'ts?

I.E. - I am going to have an lcd monitor showcasing some highlights of previous weddings, I am going to have a 1 page handout detailing my background, experience and equipment I use.

My question is do I share my package prices with them on the paper?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Wedding Expo tips
by on Oct 11, 2016 at 8:34:37 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Oct 11, 2016 at 8:36:31 pm

There's a number of reasons not to. For one, rates change all the time, so if you print up a lot with the old info, they're wasted.

But you know this by now: every job is a custom job, even if you have most elements of it repeat from client to client, every wedding has it's own subtle differences. That's why it should be billed hourly, even if you end up adding up the hourlies and presenting a "final" figure. But you can't do that with any reliability until you quiz the prospective client on the details of their particular wedding and find out their expectations.

Second, if you come up with a package price, people will grab the rate card and run off to show it to other competitors, trying to bargain someone down like this, with the idea that this is a commodity business. Those guys own different gear than you, they shoot differently, everything about them is subtly different, and their rates are also going to differ, sometimes to your benefit, but usually not. The haggler client that just wants a package commodity price and won't spend the time to talk to you and give you a sense of the project, is going to end up being one of those you regret signing on with, as they keep trying to gain extra services for a set price.

I suggest as a conversation opener, you talk instead about their wedding date and locations and that lets you chat about the venue and other things while you're looking it up in your availability calendar. The locations for the wedding and the reception will also give you a subtle hint on their general budget; low-end, mid-level, or Royale extravaganza.

Return to posts index

Sam Lesante Jr.Re: Wedding Expo tips
by on Oct 13, 2016 at 12:18:52 am

Thanks Mark for the great tips :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved