FORUMS: list search recent posts

Venue won't let me film concert of a band that wants me to film them

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce MooseVenue won't let me film concert of a band that wants me to film them
by on Dec 22, 2015 at 3:00:36 am

I've filmed at least 20 concerts in my lifetime. I've gotten approval from the bands or solo artists and they've contacted the venue and there has never been a problem till now. This one Venue won't let me film saying "You Can't film." They give no reason why I can't. The band owns all their music and wrote it all themselves. I'm not even selling this concert. I'm uploading it to YouTube. Something I've done countless times on the bands behalf.

Does anyone know what the reasoning behind a venue restricting me to film when the Band has told the venue they want me to film it?

I know they allow filming because the other day I saw a PBS broadcast filmed a the same very venue and I know other filmmakers that have filmed there as well.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Denis DanatzkoRe: Venue won't let me film concert of a band that wants me to film them
by on Dec 22, 2015 at 6:54:12 am

The venue manager could have a variety of reasons, e.g. insurance or security issues, in-house recording staff, maybe some union issues, but anything offered here would only be guesswork. I would expect that recording concerns would have been ironed-out when the venue was booked.
If no one from the venue will tell you why, my first thought is that the band might be able to learn the reason.
Will the band be doing rehearsals before the concert? If so, maybe you could join them then, sans camera, and politely ask around among the venue workers.
Whomever you approach, don't be confrontational.
An alternative that might get you more info is to call the booking office and ask there about their policies/procedures about recording.

Good luck, and please report back if you solve the dilemma.

Return to posts index

Bryce MooseRe: Venue won't let me film concert of a band that wants me to film them
by on Dec 22, 2015 at 1:04:41 pm

I called the venue yesterday. Still don't understand what the problem is.

Manager says it's because the musicians contracts prevent it. That's bull because this musician requested to the venue that they wanted me to film. They don't have such contract that prevents it. Manager also said that I could sue them if a fan broke my equipment. I have my equipment insured so that wouldn't happen. I explained that I could provide proof in documentation that I have all my equipment insured. I also have health insurance and a rider that protects me at all costs.

I think the manger is being discriminatory??? Something I could sue for.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Rob NeidigRe: Venue won't let me film concert of a band that wants me to film them
by on Dec 22, 2015 at 4:01:46 pm

I am not a lawyer and so my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, but...

A club does not exist so you can do what you want. It is a private establishment and they have the right to control what can and cannot be done there. If they have let others video there in the past, then they have obviously worked out something with them that they don't want to work out with you. If the band did not get it in their contract and the venue is not willing to let you record, then I would say you should honor that and wait to record the band when they are in a place that will allow it. Getting pushy with the venue is not going to help you or the band in the long run.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Bryce MooseRe: Venue won't let me film concert of a band that wants me to film them
by on Dec 22, 2015 at 4:24:39 pm

Well I talked to an entertainment lawyer who told me that it doesn't have to be in their contract.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Denis DanatzkoRe: Venue won't let me film concert of a band that wants me to film them
by on Dec 22, 2015 at 5:18:04 pm

How popular/well-known is the band, and how big is the venue? Have you tried politely pointing out that the video could serve as free advertising for the venue? I'm sure it could be shot and edited in such a way as to include some footage that would serve that purpose

Is anyone - other than possibly you - likely to earn anything from the video? Might he be looking for something in his pocket? I wouldn't find that surprising if it's a small, privately-owned place, but I also wouldn't accommodate him. If that's his goal, I'd pass on the job.

I've done a few shoots in places so tight that with patrons and wait staff roaming around, it would have been downright dangerous for me to move around. In one place, I recall standing in the same place throughout the entire performance and being limited to zooming in/out and raising the camera just to get different-looking footage.

Whatever the outcome, keep in mind that it is private property and he has the right to decide what goes on there. That brings up another point: is he willing to sign a location release? Without that, I suspect you may be leaving yourself open to potential legal problems.

Good luck and let us know the final outcome.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Venue won't let me film concert of a band that wants me to film them
by on Dec 23, 2015 at 12:09:02 am

I once asked Isaac Asimov if he'd permit my school to put on a radio play adaptation of the Foundation Trilogy. He wrote back that he was fine with it, but I'd have to get the permission from Doubleday. Which of course never happened. And that was before the internet.

If you've never had a problem there before, it must be because A: somehow, what you were doing wasn't noticed by the person who is stopping you now, or it didn't matter. We can speculate who got upset, but it would only be speculation.

or B: Somebody has started to realize the value and potential in this situation for getting some backshish out of this.

Either way, it's their playground. Odd that they won't communicate with the band about it, but I'd leave it between the band and the venue if I were you. By yourself you have no standing. This should get worked out between the band management and the venue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]