FORUMS: list search recent posts

ENG Lens Servo-Manual Override

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ervin Tia
ENG Lens Servo-Manual Override
on Nov 5, 2015 at 9:14:36 am

Hello! I just want to ask if it's alright to grab and turn the zoom ring while in servo mode. It just gives the right amount of resistance for that smooth manual zoom.

Any thoughts?

----------
Ervz | Video Productions | WMC-AP, Philippines
https://vimeo.com/ervzman/videos

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: ENG Lens Servo-Manual Override
on Nov 5, 2015 at 7:50:40 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Nov 5, 2015 at 7:53:55 pm

Bad, IMO. You're stressing the servo motor and gears. Try using the side of your finger as a drag against the lens barrel joint. Or see if there's a speed adjust knob for the servo rocker.

On the large Fuji and canon ENG lenses we use, I long ago discovered you can put your pointer finger and thumb, not on the rocker itself, but on the sloped *ends* of the rocker, where it meets the body of the grip, and "squeezing" the rocker from those spots gives me a super-slow zoom rate. I'd put up a still to illustrate, but left my still cam home today. Maybe I can post one tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 6, 2015 at 3:33:52 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Nov 6, 2015 at 3:35:40 pm

Picture 1 is how a servo zoom is usually operated: the finger rests in the center of the rocker switch and goes forward or back.

Picture 2 is the copyrighted "Suszko Pinch":

You pinch the front and back of the rocker between pointer finger and thumb, and a slight rolling of the thumb or finger moves the rocker a very, very small amount. This can be improved by finding the speed adjustment pot on the servo zoom and turning the speed all the way down, to get a "2-minute zoom". Some cameras may not have a physical adjustment pot that's accessible to the user, but may have a secondary menu drop-down to access it in software. Check your owners' manual for that.

Return to posts index

Ervin Tia
on Nov 9, 2015 at 9:22:35 am

haha thanks for that signature move!
:-)

----------
Ervz | Video Productions | WMC-AP, Philippines
https://vimeo.com/ervzman/videos

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko