FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions for free PC video editing software

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Herr
Suggestions for free PC video editing software
on Aug 18, 2015 at 1:44:09 pm

Hello All,

I'm facilitating an Intro to Multimedia course online to people who are mostly PC users. I'm on a Mac.

My advisor said I can pick a PC editing software but it must be free . Any suggestions?

The students have access to Adobe Premiere in a lab setting but I will have to pay to use it with no reimbursement so I'm considering the monthly license. I'm not sure what's best for the students
who may or may not use the Adobe in the lab.

For me, how bad is the learning curve on Adobe coming from a FCP/FCE environment ?

Thanks,
Al

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

Evan Heneghan
Re: Suggestions for free PC video editing software
on Aug 24, 2015 at 3:53:08 pm

Hi Al,

The title of your post is quite different to the content so I'm a little confused. Are you looking for free editing software or are you looking to hear accounts of a FC to PP change over?

If your students are fairly well acquainted with the layout of Final Cut it really shouldn't be an issue for them. I myself used Final Cut as a student and changed to Vegas first and lastly to Premiere Pro; none of them are all that different and it shouldn't take longer than a few hours to adjust for doing the basics. Since the title of your course is 'Intro to...' I'm guessing the basics will cover it.

If you're looking for decent free editing software here's a list

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-video-editing...

For what it's worth, I find that youtube's very basic free editor or window's movie maker are as good as any of the others out there (meaning not very good). Hope this helps.

Evan

Return to posts index

Al Herr
on Aug 24, 2015 at 6:51:23 pm

Yes my post is a little confusing but I thank you for responding .

I'm looking for feedback on both; free software and the learning curve for me.
So you helped .
Thanks for confirming that since I know FCP that Premiere won't be too difficult.

Since the class just started I don't know if the students will use the Premiere or prefer whatever is on their laptop. I have a feeling we'll use both.

I'd like for them to collaborate on an editing project and hoping youtube will allow that. Do you know if
youtube allows more than one person to access the same video ?

Thanks,
Al

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 25, 2015 at 2:45:27 pm

Resolve might be your ticket. Basic version is free, very powerful, easy to use, similar enough to FCPX and Premiere.

Return to posts index

Al Herr
on Aug 31, 2015 at 7:48:09 pm

Turns out they all have access to Adobe Premiere in the Lab and most have Windows Movie Maker on their PC. Not one Mac user like me out of 9.

I will check out Resolve as we might need a back up.

Thanks Mark.
Al

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]