FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wedding Video Noise Removal

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey VoelkerWedding Video Noise Removal
by on Aug 17, 2015 at 5:57:15 pm

This is my first time posting in here and I've tried finding other posts about this, but had no luck. I am about to purchase Neat Video to clean up some of my wedding footage. I know a lot of people use Neat Video to clean up all their footage, but I mainly need it to clean up lowlight situations with my Panasonic GH2s. My question is, what is the best workflow with Neat Video in Premiere Pro CC? Is it best to lay out my edit on the timeline the way I want to (this is for a highlight video) then remove noise before color correction or should I color correct, then remove noise then color grade?

Trying to find the most efficient workflow.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Wedding Video Noise Removal
by on Aug 18, 2015 at 8:08:15 pm

Hi Casey,

I use the Magic Bullet DeNoiser, but the issue with any video denoiser is speed - it can take a very long time (overnight) to denoise just a 30 minute HD video clip!

What I found when trying to apply the denoiser in the Premiere timeline is that everything ground to a halt. Can't really play the video, scrubbing is very slow, it's just no fun at all!!

So the workflow I started using is denoise the raw footage first before I do any editing, then the editing performance is not hurt.

I'll take the raw footage into After Effects, apply the denoiser and adjust, then export the whole thing to a good quality intermediate codec. I'm on the PC so that might be Lagarith or Cineform, similar avi formats. On a Mac, there is ProRes.

I take the cleaned file into Premiere and edit. Interesting tidbit: since the denoising takes so long, and can really interrupt my work schedule, I have in fact edited wedding ceremonies with the noisy footage. Then when I have some available down time, I will denoise the source clip in AE and then use REPLACE in Premiere to swap out the noisy clip for the cleaned clip. All edits stay intact, but are replaced by the nice clean footage.

Hope this helps

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Wedding Video Noise Removal
by on Aug 25, 2015 at 2:48:09 pm

Just as a contrarian opinion: why waste time processing footage that may never make the final version? I'd save your Neat Video processing until you've locked down the final version of your cut. Now you only have to apply it to the relevant shots, not to everything. Set it up to work overnight.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved