FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Camera and Rig for long, live event shooting?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint ZlesackBest Camera and Rig for long, live event shooting?
by on Jul 20, 2015 at 6:02:37 pm

Hey everyone,

The company I work for performs live coverage of events. Just one camera person, a producer, and a host on scene, and the entirety of the live shots are just from the one camera. No cutting to other angles, etc, so it puts a lot of stress on the solo shooter.

We performed some live stuff over the weekend for two hours using a Sony FS7 and a LiveU backpack, but our shooter had a lot of trouble working the camera on his shoulder for so long. He says it's a much too heavy camera, and truth be told, we only had a very basic shoulder rig set up for it.

What kind of equipment would you folks recommend for future streams of this ilk? The absolute basics we need is a camera with SDI/HDMI output and shoots in 1080p24. Any recommendations in terms of light-ish cameras, and shoulder rigging would be very appreciated!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Best Camera and Rig for long, live event shooting?
by on Jul 21, 2015 at 1:51:37 pm

Tripod or monopod, if the shooter has to move around a lot, without warning.

Return to posts index

Bill BrunerRe: Best Camera and Rig for long, live event shooting?
by on Jul 24, 2015 at 2:09:26 pm

Hi Clint - you might want to consider the new, light weight $3495 JVC GY-LS300. I've shot with this camera, and it is a terrific large sensor, interchangeable lens live streaming event camera in a very compact package.

With a $9.23 Wi-Fi USB Adapter, you can stream directly from the camera's IP address over wi-fi, with no need for an external encoder - as seen here:

You'll need to put it on a rig and add a viewfinder to get it up on your shoulder, but the total weight will still be less than the Sony.

Here it is rigged up on a $1520 Zacuto Indie Recoil:

The $3450 (with mounting arm) Zacuto Gratical OLED EVF is pictured, but all you need is a $950 Zacuto Z-Finder EVF Pro

Nice first look video from Zacuto:

Nice review from Rick Young's Movie Machine (with footage):

I can't say enough good things about this camera. It is 100% compatible with affordable Panasonic power zoom lenses (with the manual sensor crop) and I really enjoyed shooting with it - plus, even with the Zacuto shoulder rig and EVF, it costs less than the FS7.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Clint ZlesackRe: Best Camera and Rig for long, live event shooting?
by on Jul 24, 2015 at 3:12:50 pm
Last Edited By Clint Zlesack on Jul 24, 2015 at 3:17:06 pm

That's exactly the response I was looking for, thanks so much Bill. Watching a few of those videos, this camera seems to be absolutely perfect for our needs. I'll do some more research, but I do have one question. Is the format over SDI changable in the menus, or is it like most sub-$10k cameras in that it only pushes 1080i60 through SDI?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Bill BrunerRe: Best Camera and Rig for long, live event shooting?
by on Jul 25, 2015 at 9:16:01 am

Glad I could help!

The 3G-SDI out pushes a max 1080/60p.

Sadly, if you want 2160p out, you'll have to use HDMI.

Again, hope this is what you're looking for.

Best,

Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]