FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic AG-HMC40 or HC-VX870 (HD prosumer vs 4K consumer)

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle WalkerPanasonic AG-HMC40 or HC-VX870 (HD prosumer vs 4K consumer)
by on May 18, 2015 at 7:14:33 pm

I'm trying to upgrade the old mini-dv gear I use for long-form shoots (i.e. concerts, lectures, etc). I'm also trying to keep it under $1000

Would one recommend a brand new HC VX870, which is apparently one of the least expensive 4K cameras on the market right now. Or would one recommend a gently used HMC40 for $850 on Craigslist.

I'm not sure if it's smarter to go with a more consumer grade camera but have one that may be sustainable quality for longer, or one suitable for more prosumer grade setups but been out for a few years.

Most of what I do for these types of shoots is throw the camera on a tripod and press record. I have external audio gear I set up as well.

I must admit that larger form cameras (prosumer, professional) are what I would ideally like to be seen with for professional reasons in regards to how people take one more seriously with larger gear. Though I know that sounds somewhat unreasonable. But I can't dismiss that that is a factor.

Any advice appreciated!

Return to posts index

Bill BrunerRe: Panasonic AG-HMC40 or HC-VX870 (HD prosumer vs 4K consumer)
by on May 20, 2015 at 2:28:44 pm
Last Edited By Bill Bruner on May 20, 2015 at 5:18:33 pm

Hi Kyle - sadly, the HMC40 will produce relatively low resolution images by modern standards.

I would choose the VX870 (or the $998 4K Sony AX33, which has a viewfinder) over the HMC40.

Here is what the AX33 can do:

(please watch at 2160p and your monitor's highest resolution)

If you want a consumer camcorder to look more "professional", all you need is a square lens hood or a $50 matte box.

Here is a picture of my Panasonic TM900 consumer camcorder with a pro mic and a matte box.

Here it is with the matte box, an LCD hood and a consumer mic.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your upgrade!

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved