FORUMS: list search recent posts

First Engagement Shoot - Videography

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle MikamiFirst Engagement Shoot - Videography
by on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:39:25 pm

New member here. I have teamed up with a photographer and this was our first time working together. This engagement shoot was practice in order to build experience, our portfolio, and see how we work together.

I am a new videographer and have a Canon 6D and 70D, 24-70 ii, tokina 11-17, and use Cinestyle . I had issues with lighting while shooting a couple at a park. The different cameras with different lenses was difficult to manage on the spot.

Also: I would let the photographer get his shots at each location and after I would take about 15 minutes to get my footage.

1. The photographer and our equipment were in frame at each location.
2. I felt a bit rushed. How long does it usually take to shoot an engagement shoot like this?
3. The couple was found online, paid very little, and were not good at smiling, acting, and playing roles. I tried my best to make them laugh, smile, and have fun- but it was very difficult.

4. Most important issue was that I was constantly changing the shutter speed, ISO, and aperture to adjust for brightness depending on how much light was present. I using a glidecam with the Tokina on manual and had focusing issues with the 2.8 aperture.

Any advice or recommendations to make future shoots more streamlined would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: First Engagement Shoot - Videography
by on Apr 14, 2015 at 7:26:41 pm

Use a video camera instead of a DSLR?

I would rather use a video camera with a DSLR-like sensor, and spend my time framing up shots and treating the lighting with tools like scrims and flags or reflector cards.

In terms of how you're shooting this, we really don't have enough info to judge. Much of this kind of work involves managing expectations. For yourself as well as the clients.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved