FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wearable Battery Pack for Videoing Events

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent McCray
Wearable Battery Pack for Videoing Events
on Dec 21, 2014 at 4:11:55 pm

Hello all..

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a solid wearable battery pack that could be used for our videographers to power our Livestream Broadcaster while we're streaming events live? I've seen them a lot for Pro photographers & videographers to power lights & flashes. Essentially, we want to use the same concept to power this device for up to 2 hours: http://new.livestream.com/broadcaster. The batteries only last around 20 minutes and then you have to manually configure & reconnect the Broadcaster again after swapping batteries, which can take some time - especially if it won't re-connect the first few times.

I assume it needs to be a wearable battery with a built in AC/DC converter.

Thanks,

Brent
BUZZSHOW.TV

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Wearable Battery Pack for Videoing Events
on Dec 22, 2014 at 5:57:18 pm

I spent the first ten-twelve years of my career wearing something like this:

http://www.adorama.com/ABPS13.html?cvosrc=cse.google.ABPS13&cvo_campaign=pp...

Return to posts index

Brent McCray
on Dec 23, 2014 at 4:37:19 pm

Thanks very much, Mark! Do you know if it´s possible to get a 110V output from it vs just a 12V? I can´t seem to find that level of detail from the info on the web, but my plug for this Broadcaster is 110V.

Thanks!

Brent

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 23, 2014 at 5:20:44 pm

In theory, you could add an inverter to a 12-volt battery to get house current, but that is a very inefficient way to go and would wear out the battery pack fast. I am thinking that your unit is powered by an external transformer "wall wart" power supply? If that's the case, you don't need 110 volts, you need the 6,7, or 12 volts that is the same as what the wall wart delivered to the back of your unit. Does the unit have a label on the back for what the input power is?

Return to posts index

Brent McCray
on Dec 23, 2014 at 5:40:38 pm

Ahh.. You´re right! We don´t need an inverter - just a plug that would fit the output of the broadcaster with a car adapter end.

The Broadcaster output says 6-18V, 1.5A. It also runs on 3 X 1.5V AA batteries. So, plugging directly into the battery pack, how long do you think our Broadcaster could last?

Thanks!

Brent

Return to posts index

Brent McCray
on Dec 23, 2014 at 5:45:59 pm

Sorry, Mark.. I meant power INPUT on the Broadcaster is 6-18V 1.5A, not OUTPUT. So, I´m looking around for a plug that would be a 12V car plug on one end and a power connector for the Broadcaster on the other end, but I can´t find anything like that. Do you think we need some sort of converter in between?

Thanks..

Return to posts index

Brent McCray
on Dec 23, 2014 at 6:23:08 pm

Mark - do you think something like this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Vehicle-Charger-Charging-Adapter/dp/B00D3GD...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 23, 2014 at 9:03:40 pm

The Anton Baur belt would run your gizmo for several DAYS. :-) The adaptor you point out should work well enough, hook it to a lead acid motorcycle or garden tractor battery and you should be able to run all day. ideally, the battery should give exactly the voltage you need, at however many watt-hours or milliamp-hours you need to run for three hours of operating time. If the adaptor between the battery and unit has to step-down the power by any significant amount, that's wasting some of the energy as heat. The best thing would be to wire up a custom battery pack for this. If you want something more compact, go to a battery store like Batteries Plus, and ask them to make you up a nickel-cadmium (cheaper, more rugged and durable) or NIMH or Lithium-hydride (smaller, faster charging) pack, based on the power consumption of the broadcaster unit. You'll wind up with something about the size of a couple of cigarette boxes. At the same time, from the same source, get an appropriate charger for the particular chemistry of your battery. Do not try to use a nicad charger on lithium batteries, or vice-versa; there would be great risk of fire or even explosion.

There are online companies catering to the radio control hobby crowd, that make custom packs to order, very inexpensive. I have used these giys, they're good:

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/

They can set you up for everything you need, and it won't be overkill in size and weight terms. Have the specs for the uni on hand when you contact them.

Return to posts index

Brent McCray
on Dec 24, 2014 at 2:14:29 am

Excellent stuff, Mark! Thanks so much for your help.. I'll give these guys a shout & see if they can put something together for me.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated..

Happy Holidays..

Brent

Return to posts index

Edy Nyblom
on Sep 9, 2015 at 4:30:47 pm
Last Edited By Edy Nyblom on Sep 15, 2015 at 5:28:34 pm

The solution of your problem is available. Many Battery packs are available there in the market. You will find the Lithium polymer and lithium Ion batteries for your solution. They have high efficiency and less weight. Also they are available in less price.

electronic assembly manufacturing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]