FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this a badly framed wedding shot

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin GleesonIs this a badly framed wedding shot
by on Aug 9, 2014 at 7:01:59 pm

No idea where to post this, but as the shot I'm considering is from a wedding (event) video,I thought I'd try here. Apologies if this is not the most appropriate place.

Would you consider this a badly framed shot? My partner keeps getting shots like this of the couple and includes some of the guests behind them. I guess technically, it's OK, but it sort of bugs me that the couple (the main focus of the shot) and at the very right edge looking out to the right of the shot.

I think it would be better if they were framed in the left part of the screen looking into the shot (to the right). But my partner says that means they will be looking at empty space to the right of them and there would be no guests behind them. "Couples want to see themselves and their guests", he says and I suppose he has a point.

My other suggestion would that if he wants to get some guests behind the couple, he should zoom in past the couple and just focus on the guests. But he says he likes to get them "all in the one shot" (I guess he thinks that's more economical!).

My partner argues that brides just want to see as much or themselves and their friends as possible, so they don't care how the shot if framed.

Any opinions?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Graham TeesRe: Is this a badly framed wedding shot
by on Aug 9, 2014 at 7:48:18 pm

I think that the left hand side of this shot is very empty and emphasises the empty pews. If shots of guests are required, in this particular shot I would have framed it so that the candle holder is on the left hand edge of the frame. This would give some "closure" to that side of the frame, and then also shown more of the bridal couple and the bridesmaids.

There are plenty of opportunities to get shots of guests and the couple in the informal setting after the service where they are greeting one another.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Is this a badly framed wedding shot
by on Aug 9, 2014 at 10:52:22 pm

It isn't that the shot is bad, because people, including family members and the Bride and Bride's mom, DO want to see *some* coverage of everybody there. But you don;t just park it and grind away on that kind of shot for many minutes. You need to change it up, and frame tight shots of the parents, the bride and groom and best men/bridesmaids... and of course, some shots of the officiant and the readers or lectors. You desperately need more cut-aways, as well as good coverage of the prayers and homily or sermon, etc.

From that angle, a good shot could also come from getting down to eye level and pulling rack focus shots cross the front row.

Return to posts index

Martin GleesonRe: Is this a badly framed wedding shot
by on Aug 10, 2014 at 6:28:35 pm

Thanks for the responses. I actually spoke to my partner since and he explained that he actually had to couple so close to the right because the photographer was just to their right and he was trying to get him out of the shot. But my partner still likes those shots with the couple at the extreme right of the frame "looking out", which I don't like.

Graham, agree about the emphasis and empty pews and yes, I'd prefer too if the candle holder was at the very left of the frame. That would have been a nicer shot.

Mark, absolutely. And to be fair to him, he did "mix it up" and does that a lot. He will zoom in to get shots of guests and also close ups of the couple. It's a two camera shoot, so I (on the other camera) am filming the altar and celebrant. We mix it up in the edit.

Really appreciate the feedback. I shall pass it on!

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: Is this a badly framed wedding shot
by on Aug 15, 2014 at 7:13:22 pm

Martin, your partner needs to talk with the photographer ahesd of time so everyone can get the shots they need. I'm sure the photographer wouldn't be happy if your partner was invading his frame.

Everyone needs to work together for the benefit of the happy couple.

Return to posts index

Nancy HenkerRe: Is this a badly framed wedding shot
by on Aug 23, 2014 at 7:11:43 pm

The very first thing I see is the girl in the short blue dress to the left, and the odd looking pole beside her. The very last thing I see is the wedding couple.

I cannot tell you what brides mostly want, but I personally would not be happy with a shot framed like this if I was a paying client. Not at all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved