FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Corey
Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera
on Jun 6, 2014 at 5:08:43 pm
Last Edited By Paul Corey on Jun 6, 2014 at 5:17:10 pm

I was wondering if anyone is using the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera on a regular basis for weddings. I shoot weddings and other events and I am using a Canon XF105 with a small cheap video camera for a backup angle. I am thing of getting the Blackmagic camera or a DSLR.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera
on Jun 20, 2014 at 1:47:34 pm
Last Edited By Bill Bruner on Jun 20, 2014 at 1:52:01 pm

Hi Paul - If you're interested in Blackmagic cameras, and are willing to deal with the external monitoring and power requirements, I recommend you save some money and get the $995 Pocket Cinema Camera with extra battery.

Here is what this camera can do:

This camera is a very good value for money - but it will take a little extra work to get good results with it. Coming from camcorders, you may be a little frustrated by its lack of fast autofocus, power zoom and external controls. And if you aren't already familiar with color grading, you will also have to learn to grade in post in order to get the best results.

To make life a little easier - if you were planning to spend $1995 for a 2.5K Blackmagic Cinema Camera, you may want to consider a $1698 4K Panasonic GH4 instead. This camera has 4 times the resolution of your 1080p Canon XF105, is compatible with power zoom lenses (like this one and this one), has fast video autofocus and is a lot easier to shoot with than the Blackmagic cameras.

Here is what this camera can do:

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Paul Corey
on Jul 1, 2014 at 3:08:13 am

Thank You, On the Blackmagic Cineme camera forum Matthew suggested that I look at the Panasonic GH4K too.

Paul

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jul 6, 2014 at 5:41:49 am

I have both the Pocket Cinema Camera and the GH4 - and, for weddings, I recommend the GH4.

You will get stunning resolution and detail if you shoot 4K on the $1698 GH4 and downscale it to 1080p for delivery. Yes, the body costs a little more, but it is worth it.

Here are a couple of recent examples of this approach:

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]