FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XF100/200 as main camera for weddings? Wireless mics?!

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander FreedmanCanon XF100/200 as main camera for weddings? Wireless mics?!
by on May 1, 2014 at 8:19:36 pm

Hello all,

I recently shot a friend's wedding (check it out below) and, even though it's my first wedding, it has given me the confidence to get serious about my hobby and shoot more. That being said, I need to get serious about my equipment and I was hoping you all could provide some advice.

check it out here!

I currently own a Canon Vixia HF G20 and I borrowed a Sony PMW-100 for the wedding. I'll need to purchase a pro level camera to replace the Sony and was looking at the Canon XF100. I've worked in videography for a couple years and am no stranger to pro cameras (currently using a Panasonic AF100 at work) so I'm not worried about a learning curve but, with the XF200 right around the corner, I am worried I'd waste my money buying the XF100 now.

As with most starter videographers, I'm on a tight, tight budget and saving a grand by going with the XF100 (maybe more if the price drops after the XF200 comes out) is really appealing. I just wonder if the XF200 is so amazingly better that it's worth stretching my budget for? I know it'll be hard to know for sure until the XF200 comes out but B&H's video preview of it is pretty exciting:

From what I can tell, the XF200 offers (just to name a few):
-A larger sensor but it seems that's really just for better image stabilization, not image quality.
-20x zoom which is pretty awesome in a compact camera.
-Zoom/Focus/Iris rings which are nice, but not a necessity for me.

Is it FINALLY offering 1080/60p at 50Mbps? I can't find a clear spec on it except for "MP4 format supports 1080/60p at 35 Mbps" ... but I wonder, I did some 1080/60i shots with the G20 for the recent wedding then deinterlaced in FCPX and wasn't heartbroken over the image quality. Thoughts?

I'm open to other camera options other than the XF100/200 but, this might be the kicker, I'd really like to keep as compact as possible so I can use my Glidcam HD2000 interchangeably between my G20 and future camera. I'm also terrified of DSLR video and the idea of swapping lenses on the fly (and watching them shatter as I accidentally drop them during my run-and-gun style shooting), so DSLR's are out for me.

I'd like this purchase to last me for years to come and ultimately, I'd just like to know what has worked best for you.

Side note: Wireless Mic Systems around $1-$1.5k?! Any recommendations? Or maybe the cheaper option of a small Zoom mic in the grooms breast pocket with lav attached and sync the audio up later? I'm pretty limited on my understanding of pro-level audio specs to look for when shopping around.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Graham TeesRe: Canon XF100/200 as main camera for weddings? Wireless mics?!
by on May 2, 2014 at 8:09:17 am

I've been using the Sennheiser ew 100 G3 wireless mic's for some time and they give good results.

Return to posts index

Alexander FreedmanRe: Canon XF100/200 as main camera for weddings? Wireless mics?!
by on May 2, 2014 at 12:40:03 pm

Thanks Graham!

Phew, I like that price point for sure! I was expecting to have to pay $1k-1.5k but if I can get decent quality out of those Sennheiser's for only $800, count me in! I'll start researching them immediately!

**Also, side note for anyone else in reference to my camera search, and before anyone slaps me for not mentioning it - the Sony AX100. Yes, I know. It's 4k shinny with compact goodness but I know there's no way my NLE/Computer setup could ever handle RAW 4k video. Maybe if I downsampled but that just sounds like more work, no? I've got a Mid 2011 Mac Mini (I'd like to update soon) with 8GB of RAM, using FCPX (I'd like to upgrade to CS6 soon) and G-Tech's RAID0 2TB external HDD with another 2TB random HDD I had laying around, for backup.

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Canon XF100/200 as main camera for weddings? Wireless mics?!
by on May 5, 2014 at 7:48:53 pm

I use sony wireless....around $450....worked great, never had a problem in 8 years. I like to monitor my audio. You can find cheap zooms all over ebay if you want backup for recording.

I would prefer a 5D Mk III DSLR over either camera to give you that cinema look we all love. Or if you really want to stretch the budget, go with the canon C100...amazing camera that many event and documentary film makers have turned too.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
Video Marketing

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Alexander FreedmanRe: Canon XF100/200 as main camera for weddings? Wireless mics?!
by on May 6, 2014 at 3:45:19 pm
Last Edited By Alexander Freedman on May 6, 2014 at 3:46:33 pm

Thanks for the reply Brent!

That $450 price point looks even better haha! I'll look into Sony's wireless systems as well.

The video coming out of some DSLRs is pretty amazing and no doubt the shallow depth of field is very popular, but I'm hesitant to cross over into the DSLR Video world. The idea of having to lug around multiple lens (like I do at work with the Panasonic AF100) and switching them out on the fly while running-and-gunning sounds like a nightmare. Plus, the thought of having to build a rig, invest in lenses and adaptor equipment... am I just naive to think I can get close to that DSLR style from a "traditional" video camera without the hassle? Or is it not as bad as I'm making it out to be?

Yes, is the C100 beautiful or what?! I know we have an expensive hobby and I'm prepared to pay but jeeezz at that $5,000 price point (but totally worth it) and still having to buy lenses and rig gear... I shudder. Maybe I'm too cheap for this hobby haha.

I'll cross over to DSLR's if it's really the way video is going (thoughts?) but boy am I not looking forward to having Frankenstein rigged to my shoulder as I run and gun at weddings.

Return to posts index

John SummerfieldRe: Canon XF100/200 as main camera for weddings? Wireless mics?!
by on Jul 7, 2014 at 2:10:54 pm

C100 rocks for many reasons IMHO... foremost for my wedding videography are: fantastic dynamic range, zebra stripes and other monitoring features, XLR ports for audio. There are many more but those features work for me.

I agree with the previous post, the Sennheise G3 wireless lavs are excellent and dependable in my experience.

Hope this helps.

John Summerfield

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved