FORUMS: list search recent posts

From Events to Documentary Films

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent DunnFrom Events to Documentary Films
by on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:23:59 pm

Hey everyone, I've been neglecting the forums and focusing on a documentary film I currently have in production. I've shot weddings and events for 8 years and needed something different.

The film is called "Waiting for a Miracle" It's about my search for my wife's family after Typhoon Haiyan hit Tacloban City in the Philippines, killing thousands. Recovery will take years.
This is the link to my crowd funding campaign which is ending, but you can view the trailer. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/waiting-for-a-miracle#home

This is the film website so you can follow the progress. We need funding to go back for a month this summer and then back to the Philippines again in November. http://www.waitingforamiracle.com/

Event videographer's make great Documentary Films. That's what we do on a day to day basis, telling other people's stories.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Max PalmerRe: From Events to Documentary Films
by on Apr 30, 2014 at 2:00:18 pm

Hi Brent- A sad tale to hear; my condolences to your wife and her family.

I've been pretty fascinated with documentary shooting lately. I think it would be pretty cool to make one, but I've always wondered how a documentary is planned and produced. Can you share some insight as to what the first steps you had to take to get started with making a documentary?

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: From Events to Documentary Films
by on May 5, 2014 at 7:41:16 pm

This story hit me personally. I went there with my camera gear, not to make a film, but to go as a reporter so I could jump onto a Military transport C-130. The airport was badly damaged and there wasn't any commercial flights when I left.

If you shoot weddings and events, you are already a documentary film maker. You are telling the story of the day. When you edit, try to create an emotional and inspirational storyline. Ask questions about your clients life. That will drive the story.

There are stories all around us. It could be about your family or a neighbor, or a community struggling with crime. Find the story that hits you in the heart and go with it.

In the beginning, just try to come up with a basic framework or outline of what you are trying to accomplish. Don't worry about writing a detailed script. It's good to have some questions laid out in the beginning.

I start with a direction, but the direction changes based on the interviews and experiences I encounter while filming the story. Sometimes, the outcome is way different than you envisioned in the beginning. It's ok, just go with what feel right.

You don't need to make a 70 minute feature. Start out with a short, 7 - 15 minutes.

My film is very time sensitive to the events that are taking place. I need to fly there multiple times to capture recovery efforts and survival stories. To do this, takes funding. Filming and making the movie is the easy part, finding the funding is the struggle.

I've been to 3 film festivals in the last 3 months, watching mainly documentary films to get a feel for what others are doing. I love watching documentary films.

I'm sure there are a lot of more detailed videos on YouTube and books on how to break down your Doc. My film has been driven by very personal events that has steered me down this path.

I attended a panel Friday. I spoke with the actor in the original Karate Kid....the bad guy...can't remember his name....he was telling everyone, "just make the fu.....n film" Don't worry about what others say or what the outcome is. Just grab your camera and go.

Here is a documentary about how batman has impacted so many lives, by a good friend of mine "Brett Culp." He has been screening this movie all over the country. http://www.wearebatman.com/

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>