FORUMS: list search recent posts

looking for 3 cheap cameras that wil sync and I can run mics into for good sound

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
looking for 3 cheap cameras that wil sync and I can run mics into for good sound
on Apr 21, 2014 at 2:22:15 am

I am shooting a web TV show and I want to use 3 cameras, but I don't want to break the bank. I see a lot if consumer cameras that shoot pretty good video (down converted for youtube). Are there consumer cameras out there that 3 of the same model can be started by a single remote. Since newer consumer cameras are no longer using mic inputs, is there a camera that takes at least an 1/8 inch jack? I have sennheiser Evolution lav packs. The other way could be getting a mixer that records video straight from the camera with an XLR input. I can then add each line to multi clip editing to mix my show.

Can either of this be done on the cheap. Say, 3 cameras for about 1K? maybe a recorder for an extra 500 bucks?

Just kicking the tires.

Thanks.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
Re: looking for 3 cheap cameras that wil sync and I can run mics into for good sound
on Apr 21, 2014 at 12:25:53 pm

I like to do sound off-camera, personally. I use a Zoom H4n for simple things, which will allow two XLR mics and the internal mics, or the two XLRs plus an external pair via the 1/8" TRS jack.

However, to actually answer your quesion, the only solution I know of is GoPro. I'm not sure of the features vs models matrix, but you can bring external mics I on some models (via an adapter to the USB jack) and you can sync multiple GoPro cameras via various means. Certainly a place to start.

When I shoot multicam, it's always as a one-man operation, and I don't have any sort of camera sync. My "trick" is to start the Zoom (or other recorder) first, and use that also as the time base for the whole shoot. Then I can start and stop cameras at any time (a practical issue if you use Canon DSLRs for video) and sync them when editing via Plural Eyes.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: looking for 3 cheap cameras that wil sync and I can run mics into for good sound
on Apr 21, 2014 at 1:55:21 pm

Try this: go to the B&H photo-video web site, and use their search/catalog system to list HD camcorders by price. Find some in the 300-400 dollar range, then search the tech specs to see if it can take an external audio/mic input, and if it has a wireless remote.

Frankly, for your budget, you would get better features and ability by shopping used, rather than new, but that also makes it harder to find three identical models. In the 300-dollar range, you're probably looking at stuff like used iphones/opods, or the Kodak ZI- series, I reckon. On the positive side, many of the Kodaks DO have a mic jack input. On the downside, they won't have any remotes, but this is maybe not such a big deal, because you can use the automatic sync in fcpx, or manual synching to a clapper or strobe, just before the show begins in earnest, as your manual synch point for a multicam edit.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Apr 21, 2014 at 8:12:14 pm

The Hero 3 White Edition sells new for about $200. I did a little double-check... in addition to wired remote/sync, all of the Hero 3 series support WiFi control via an iPhone/Android Hero App or a dedicated WiFi remote control (about $65). You'll get better quality with the Hero 3+ Black Edition, but it's almost twice the price. Here's a comparison chart: http://gopro.com/cameras.

You will need MicroSD cards, about $30 for 32GB. And unlike pretty much any other cheap camcorder, there's basically an entire industry devoted to Hero camera add-ons.

There are cameras you attach to something... no image stabilization. That something is quite often moving; there are thousands of videos online. These days, some of the best quality for the price, as well as features as mentioned, like WiFi control and mic input.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Apr 22, 2014 at 1:14:28 am

Thanks all for the advice. I was searching and I ran across PluralEyes 3. I don't have FCPX, just FCP3. I also have Adobe Premier CS6. I haven't edited in a while. Is there a tutorial for CS6 that anyone knows of off the top of their head.

If I am going to use cheaper consumer cameras, I can run my lav mics into a mixer them into my mac book pro to capture sound. I guess I can then take the SD cars from the 3 cameras and do a multi cam edit after I sync.

Again, thanks for the ideas. There are a lot of 300 dollar consumer cameras out there that would work for me and this project.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]