FORUMS: list search recent posts

Picking a camcorder to use in conjunction with my DSLR

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
travis heberling
Picking a camcorder to use in conjunction with my DSLR
on Apr 14, 2014 at 9:04:28 pm

Hello everyone!

I shoot mostly corporate and live event video/photo.

A studio that I am going to start shooting weddings for requires me to have a "traditional" video camera as a b or c camera to go with my DSLR(s) (I shoot on a Sony a99)

So far of what I have seen the best choices for the price would be the Canon xa series. Specifically the 10 or 20.....or the new Sony FDR AX 100 with all its 4K options.

I will be needing an XLR set up for audio so factor the add on for the Sony into the full price of it.

The Sony seems like a great camera but I have noticed it has some pretty bad rolling shutter, and its a bit more expensive than the Canon choices.

The Canon of course lacks some features like the ND filters and 4K options, but the price is much more easy on the wallet. (I still have some other investments to make)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
Re: Picking a camcorder to use in conjunction with my DSLR
on Apr 21, 2014 at 12:44:22 pm

This is totally my range of camera, and I'm currently drooling over a few options for around $2K that lead to 4K...

If you're going primarily for event videography, I'd take a serious look at the AX100, particularly with a eye to whether that 1" backlit sensor really delivers in low light, compared to DSLR and specifically the Canons' 1/3" sensor. The only thing I've ever wanted for in wedding videography was better low-light performance. And while 4K is compelling, may be a non-issue if you're handing off video to a studio. On the other hand, you can shoot in 4K and downsample to 4:2:2 HD. Or just shoot HD for them and keep 4K for your own projects.

Audio's an issue if you must record on-camera. I'd probably chain off my H4n, so I could use real mics without needing a Beachtek and keep the better quality Zoom 24-bit audio. You can buy an H4n for about the price of most of the straight XLR adapters.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Apr 29, 2014 at 2:01:29 pm

Hi Travis - since you already have the A99 - you might want to consider a $1715 Sony NEX-VG30 body with a 55-210 E mount lens plus a $350 Sony LA-EA2 adapter for your alpha lenses. That way, you can share lenses between the two cameras.

With an $18 Hosa MIT-156 XLR to 3.5mm transformer/adapter, you can plug your pro XLR mics straight into this camera.

The VG30's APS-C sized sensor will be much a better match for your A99 footage than the tiny sensor in the Canon XA cameras - or even the AX-100's larger 1" sensor.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Apr 30, 2014 at 5:16:54 pm

Keep in mind that MIT-156 is just a Balun... it's only going to work with dynamic mics, not condensers. Most pro mics useful for video are condensers and need 48V phantom power. Thus the Beachtek... or H4n.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on May 2, 2014 at 10:37:34 am
Last Edited By Bill Bruner on May 2, 2014 at 10:38:56 am

Dave - the Hosa MIT-156 also works with battery powered condensers such as the used Audio Technica AT835b I bought on eBay.

In addition, it works with battery/phantom powered condenser mics such as the more modern AT897, the Rode NTG-2, Sennheiser MKE 600 and others.

For purely phantom powered condenser mics such as the Audio-Technica AT875R, you can add in-line phantom power with a 9V battery and a $70 ART Phantom II Pro - less money than either a $469 Beachtek or a $230 Zoom H4N.

Here's a picture of my $75 AT835b condenser shotgun plugged straight into my camera with the Hosa. In side-by-side testing, it sounded just as good (to me) as a $229 Rode VideoMic Pro. YMMV:

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:15:10 pm

If you state your budget, it's easy to give recommendations.

You could buy a used EX 1 for around $1,500.

If you have the budget, I'd get rid of the DSLR's and buy the Canon C100. An amazing camera with a higher price, worth the extra cash.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Max Palmer
on Apr 30, 2014 at 1:32:03 pm

I was considering the AX100 too because of the attractiveness of it's large sensor for low light situations. I currently shoot with a 60D B cam, and a XF100 A-cam. While the 60D will take in more light due to it's larger sensor, the picture on the XF100 remains MUCH truer and pleasant to look at when the sensitivity is cranked up; wheras the 60D starts to fall on it's face.

So obviously sensor size, while important, isn't the end-all be all of low-light performance. Although, I am still curious as to how the AX100 performs compared to the smaller-sensor Canons. Does anyone have any insight into that?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]