FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copyrighted music for wedding videos

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Johnson
Copyrighted music for wedding videos
on Jan 23, 2014 at 10:26:16 pm

Hey Guys,
I apologise if this has been asked before but I am new to this forum and I am just finding my way around. I was just wondering how other wedding video companies go about using copyrighted music for wedding videos?
Many Thanks,
Laura

Wedding Videos based in Staffordshire | http://www.visionwaveweddings.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Copyrighted music for wedding videos
on Jan 24, 2014 at 3:12:54 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jan 24, 2014 at 3:42:42 pm

A. They just don't, replacing with cleared music in post.

B. They roll the dice and just use whatever the customer asks for, counting on being one small fish in a huge school. The risk there is that you could lose the business, and even perhaps your home and personal funds, if you get sued. This is not a sane business model.

C. They locate the rights holders and pay for the usage, passing the costs on to the client. Few people do this because the expense and hassle makes it unproductive for all but the richest clients.

Return to posts index

Laura Johnson
on Jan 25, 2014 at 11:06:23 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your reply. If I were to go about licensing the music, would I do this through the PRS website? You can get a Limited Manufacture License but I'm not sure if this would cover me for the song - also I assume I would need a license per song so if I used five different songs then each of these would need to be licensed.
I find this a very confusing and overwhelming subject with lots of different bits of advice coming from different places. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated :)

Many Thanks,
Laura

Wedding Videos based in Staffordshire | http://www.visionwaveweddings.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 25, 2014 at 7:59:04 pm

I know even less about the European/ UK licensing situation than I do of ours in the US so you should talk to a lawyer or solicitor and get it straight from the horse's mouth for your situation.

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Feb 20, 2014 at 4:26:55 pm

I would highly recommend using websites like The Music Bed and Song Freedom. There's a lot of great, high quality music. Using mainstream songs for a wedding video is a headache and often times not reasonable when you factor in licensing cost.

Cody Walters
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videographer

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS6 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D, 60D

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 5, 2014 at 3:33:28 pm

[Mark Suszko] "The risk there is that you could lose the business, and even perhaps your home and personal funds, if you get sued. This is not a sane business model."

Outside of Coldplay being used Tony Romo's wedding video, who else has gotten sued?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]