FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-editing videos for newspapers

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike BartoszekRe-editing videos for newspapers
by on Jan 17, 2014 at 8:40:09 pm

This is undoubtedly the wrong forum for this, but i couldn't find anywhere else to put it.

I just started selling edited videos to the local paper. They assign a shoot, i go out, shoot, cut together a 1+ minute video and send it along to the editor.
Their freelancer contract calls for "sole and exclusive first time publications rights". I'm fine with that.

What i'm curious about is the ethics behind recutting the video and selling it to another paper in town. The contract does NOT have a no competition clause, so a re-cut should be fair game.

any opinions?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Re-editing videos for newspapers
by on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:57:22 pm

Don't do it.

Also, email Tim and beg him to erase this thread right away, before it gets on your permanent record.

Return to posts index

Mike BartoszekRe: Re-editing videos for newspapers
by on Jan 18, 2014 at 12:20:20 am

Haven't bothered to do it yet. I was just curious, they pay $35 a video so i was looking into options to make a more efficient use of my effort.
Like i said, i'm new to the newspaper gig and am still fleshing out all the rules, norms, and typical "Stringer" procedures.

Thanks for the input though!......though, i don't know if you're permanent record comment was sarcasm or not. Hard to tell in text and all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved