FORUMS: list search recent posts

How rare is this?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek JuntunenHow rare is this?
by on Dec 27, 2013 at 7:14:39 pm

For the past two years, myself and my friend (who owns a videography business) have filmed the annual MAS-ICNA Convention, a convention featuring Muslim scholars giving lectures and Muslim entertainers performing. So what we get contracted to do is shoot b-roll throughout the conference - 2.5 days worth - and have a highlight video premiere on the final night right before, and then during, the entertainment kicks off.

Here's the video from the one we did just a few days ago:

My question is, how rare is it for a 2-3 person crew (2 cameramen, 1 editor) to do this for an event/convention/etc.? And what are the rates you've heard of for this type of thing? The point of this post is to see if it is rare, to use that as a means to market ourselves better in the future ("Hey, look what we can do for you that others often don't!"). Of course, if the video isn't that great, then the quick turnaround doesn't matter much, so while they've been very pleased with it, I want to know your thoughts as well. Does it entertain and tell a story of what happens/has happened at the conference?

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: How rare is this?
by on Dec 28, 2013 at 7:36:58 pm

I don't think it's all that rare, in the wedding world I've heard it referred to as SDE, Same Day Edit. Like anything, it would be a budget line item and all you need to do is convince the client of its value to the viewer & event. Of all the events I've gone to, by the time the event is over, most attendees just wanna get out of there, and to show a 2-3 min video would be a bit of a drag. The placement before the entertainment is a plus.

I think the value comes in promoting the following year's event - "Hey all you potential attendees! Look at all the cool stuff we did last year! Don't miss out! YOU need to be here!" It's also an opportunity for the client to help garner sponsorship - "Hey potential sponsor! Look at al the attendees and fun we had! You should pony up $10K for a booth and we'll put you name in the program and on the big screen!"

As far as rates go there are many threads in the Business & Marketing Forum that cover that.

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: How rare is this?
by on Feb 5, 2014 at 4:58:00 pm

If it's a big conference with a lot of brake out sessions. I use at least 3 people.

I had one conference where I had 12 videographers, We had to film every breakout session for people who couldn't make it due to a hurricane.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
Video Marketing

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved