FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uploading videos to Youtube containing copyrighted music

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel SolomonUploading videos to Youtube containing copyrighted music
by on Dec 9, 2013 at 8:08:01 pm

Most of my wedding videos are edited with music of popular artists. Music is requested by my customer. Also, the DJ or band plays popular copyrighted music which i am obviously recording.

How can i upload these event videos to youtube without my account getting flagged for copyright infringement and having the video taken down

Gabriel Solomon
LifeCapture Images

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Uploading videos to Youtube containing copyrighted music
by on Dec 9, 2013 at 9:22:43 pm

If you have a "producer account" with Youtube, instead of pulling the clip, or muting it, they may just let it go, but make you wait thru a commercial at the beginning. This seems to be a trend, but I don't know that it is actual policy. I'm not going to bore you with the lecture on licensed music here, just assume we've already had that argument.

Return to posts index

Roger Van DuynRe: Uploading videos to Youtube containing copyrighted music
by on Dec 10, 2013 at 1:12:02 pm

From what I've read online, it depends upon the individual record label and how they feel about protecting their intellectual property. Sometimes they have an agreement with YouTube and ads are placed. Other times, there are lawsuits, BIG ONES!

My company has a policy written in stone, only licensed music, no matter what the customer says. Even if you have an indemnity clause in your contract, just see if that protects you when the record label starts suing. Even E&O policies ( and they are expensive ) only cover inadvertent infringement, not deliberate infringement.

Return to posts index

Bill BrunerRe: Uploading videos to Youtube containing copyrighted music
by on Dec 20, 2013 at 12:53:20 pm

Even if YouTube's algorithms don't take it down, you are risking a DMCA takedown notice at best and a lawsuit from the copyright holder at worst.

There's less risk of this happening on Vimeo - but,for their own protection, they're serious about this stuff too:

People post copyrighted music all the time, but, in my view, it's not worth the reputational or financial risk to your business (or to you personally, if you're not incorporated).

Maybe you can give the couple the edit with the music track they requested and post a separate YouTube edit with a track from or a similar service? I use it, it's absolutely free, and the tracks are decent.

I'm no lawyer, so this advice is worth pretty much what you paid for it :)

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Paddy UglowRe: Uploading videos to Youtube containing copyrighted music
by on Dec 20, 2013 at 1:56:32 pm

Part of me is glad that the technology has caught up to protect musicians' copyright. It's not fair that someone can make a rubbishy video look super-awesome by adding someone else's music and not paying them for the privilege.
But I don't know how much trickles back to the musician. I write all my own music for my videos and have a sound effects and music downloads site which asks for donations, bearing in mind how much time and effort the sound effect has saved.
Often the musicians put in more work than the video-makers!

Amusingly, I made a pop video for my friend's song (I also played on the recording), so the copyright was very much ours, but we got all kinds of trouble from CDBaby (where she was selling the album) when we tried to monetise it on YouTube!
At least it shows the tech is working... I don't think she's sold anything through them yet though.

This is one of my favourite rants - now we're all broadcasting worldwide, we should be following the same copyright rules as the old-world broadcasters had to.

- Paddy

Return to posts index

Michael JohnstonRe: Uploading videos to Youtube containing copyrighted music
by on Dec 28, 2013 at 8:18:48 pm

I warn brides up front that if they choose popular songs that isn't licensed, they won't be able to share it online and will only be able to watch on DVD or Blu-Ray. Every wedding I've done in the past two years is with licensed music because I also warn the brides they could be sued for copyright infringement by the record companies if they choose copyrighted music.

Return to posts index

Ralph HajikRe: Uploading videos to Youtube containing copyrighted music
by on Feb 1, 2014 at 1:24:15 am

Hi Gabriel,

After reading this post, what is more important to you? Showing your video or uploading copyrighted music. Why don't you respect and honor the rights of the artists and their music and replace it with royalty free music. There's a lot of great royalty free music out there.
Best of luck to you.

Ralph Hajik

Happy Travels

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Uploading videos to Youtube containing copyrighted music
by on Feb 5, 2014 at 5:04:06 pm

You can get copyrighted music with a release from Music

If you post using music you do not have the rights to, then you not only risk being banned from YouTube, you risk legal action from the record companies that may cost you thousands and the loss of your business.

I tell my clients they can use anything from that sight. It's $50 for a wedding highlight. I usually pick the music unless they request it. I also tell them due to copyright, I cannot risk using their music. If they tell me others are doing it, I tell them they may also be targeted for a lawsuit, not just the company. That usually scares them my way.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
Video Marketing

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Pawneshwer GuptaRe: Uploading videos to Youtube containing copyrighted music
by on Sep 7, 2014 at 1:26:31 am

you can crop videos if you are using copy righted video but if your issue is about background music then you need to remove background music..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved