FORUMS: list search recent posts

Taking XLR from board Then Outputting over SDI to flatscreens

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pinho
Taking XLR from board Then Outputting over SDI to flatscreens
on Nov 26, 2013 at 1:24:44 am

Hey All,

I have been asked to volunteer shoot for an event this upcoming thanksgiving and have a few questions about the panel segment of the shoot. Looks like there will be a standard podium mic set up at front of house, I will be taking XLR from board into camera (Canon C300). I then will be feeding SDI out from camera to two flat screens at separate off-site locations.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience taking audio from board and then outputting via SDI? Should I worry about any sync issues during playback on screens? Anyone else run into issues with a similar set-up?

I know pulling audio from a mix-board has been a pain in the past and I usually try to avoid these types of situations altogether, especially when I can't control the elements -- but charity got the best of me this season ;)

Thanks in advance!!

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
Re: Taking XLR from board Then Outputting over SDI to flatscreens
on Nov 26, 2013 at 4:22:06 pm
Last Edited By Rob Neidig on Nov 26, 2013 at 4:27:34 pm

Michael,

As far as taking the audio feed, be sure you know whether you are getting a mic level feed, or a line level feed. And then there's the issue of +4dB professional line level vs. -10dB line level, but with the adjustment capability on the camera or mixer you are feeding the audio into, then you should be able to deal with either.

Then just send the signal out if you have the option to include the audio with the video in the SDI signal.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Michael Pinho
Re: Taking XLR from board Then Outputting over SDI to flatscreens
on Nov 26, 2013 at 5:03:41 pm

Thanks Rob, I appreciate your reply.

I was planning on purchasing an attenuator as a go-between just incase the line level is too hot. I am hoping that will be the only additional tool I will need to handle the signal coming from the board.

I was under the impression that all SDI signal outs included audio, but i'll have to comb through the c300 menus to make sure that it is not a stand-alone option.

Thanks again!

Mike

Michael Pinho
NBCUniversal - Syfy
Post-Production Coordinator

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]