FORUMS: list search recent posts

First Wedding Video

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rob armsFirst Wedding Video
by on Nov 4, 2013 at 7:23:55 pm

Looking for some feedback on my first wedding video. Shot with 1 Sony HDR CX360. Edited with Imovie. I have no formal training and am considering some sort of film training. Any and all feedback is welcome. Feel free to skip the speech and parental dances. Also feel free to laugh at the ridiculous dancers. Thanks for watching.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: First Wedding Video
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 4:44:56 pm

Couple things;

The white font over white background was not a great titling choice. Pick a better, cursive type font and make it dark, sample the color of the ink blots on the paper texture. Then it looks unified.

Lose that repeating sample of the intro to that (the Verve? Seriously? Kinda inappropriate lyrics associated with that) pop song: it goes on Way too long, and you don't have clearance anyhow. Go to a place like and find licensed music that works better.

Too long a sequence of the build-up to the start of the wedding, and many of the interior shots of the pews were too dark, needed supplemental lighting. Overall, speed up the cuts in this section.

The worst thing is the very poor nat sound throughout; on-baord shotgun mics are only goo up to a yard in front of the camera; you should at a minimum, put a wireless mic on the groom next time, or a mini audio recorder at least. You can sometimes tap into the PA system at a church, or plug into the DJ's or hotel's audio system to get better audio at the reception.

Use more tripod and less handheld.

You missed the vows and the ring ceremony, and most of both processions. These are the fundamental shots of any wedding video, and I'm surprised the bride and her mom watched this and yet, let you live; you must be related. :-)

Return to posts index

rob armsRe: First Wedding Video
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 6:35:21 pm

Thanks for the critique. I shot it all on a stock sony handycam, no tripod, no mic. I did the wedding for free just wanted to see what I could do. I had footage of the vows but the sound was crap. I need to invest in better equipment lol.

Return to posts index

rob armsRe: First Wedding Video
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 6:39:11 pm

This is the second wedding I did. I think it came out better then the first.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: First Wedding Video
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 8:09:24 pm

Needs more close-ups interspersed so the wide shots of the same general scene look less like jump-cuts. When they are goofing for the cameras, you should freeze-frame a pose and crop it and fly it up into a close-up. If the video camera rez isn't up to it, add a flash frame of white and import the matching shot from the still camera, and do the crop and fly-in move with that, makes a nice montage that way.

Do the editing in your head and in your camera as you roll. Don't roll until you have the shot established and framed right, then roll for at LEAST ten seconds before you change the shot. Keep a list in your head of shots that you need, and ALWAYS think ahead about what the NEXT shot should be, as you are shooting:

"I'm on a wide shot now, the next one needs to be a detail from the same shot, closer-in, or something altogether different".

"I'm on a medium shot: my next shot could be wide or close-up: what's around that tells the story and advances it?"

Use a tripod or monopod and set up a shot, then let the motion happen in the frame, let people naturally enter and exit that frame. You might try shooting a few rack focus shots, where the focal point drives from an extreme close detail, to action int he background, or the reverse.

Compose using the "rule of thirds", and don't always center every shot; that gets visually boring.

These tricks, plus a pro attitude about the details of framing, audio and lighting, and shooting to communicate a narrative flow, are what differentiates a pro from a home movie enthusiast.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved