FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice picking what road to go down

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Domsic
Need advice picking what road to go down
on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:30:44 pm

Was wondering what would get the best picture quality?

Canon Mark 2 or 3 (HDMI out to a recorder such as an Atomos Ninja for uncompressed footage)

or

A Sony PMW-200 (2/3 sensor and 4.2.2 subsampling (as far as i know DSLRs are only 4.2.0) aslo outputs 50mbps with apple prores 422 codec).

My main concern is what will look better on an actual HDTV and not a 19inch computer screen. Any comments on the benefits and drawbacks would be a plus. Me and friend are shooting some weddings, and DSLRs seem to be a hit in that area, but I would like to expand beyond that. Would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Brian

Return to posts index

Jude Lunch
Re: Need advice picking what road to go down
on Mar 5, 2013 at 4:27:36 pm

Hi Brian, I too am looking to buy a new machine, I keep leaning towards the EX1 as I only have £3500 budget. I currently use a Z1 and part of the reason I haven't upgraded in so long is that its such a daunting task choosing the right machine!

Is your machine to be used as a work horse outside of wedding videos, like standard interviews, music videos etc?

Jude : )

Return to posts index

John Young
on Mar 5, 2013 at 11:09:00 pm

For people on a tight budget like yourself. There is not really a solution that will do everything for you. I would suggest prioritizing your needs.

If your priority is long record times, and no-hassle audio recording, then go for the traditional video camera. If your priority is beauty shots with a nice depth of field, and great low light capability, go for the DSLR.

We have a EX-1 (similar sensors to the PMW-200) along with a Canon 7D and 60D DSLRs. I will tell you this: when I need beauty shots, I go for the DSLR. When I need audio and recording options of a standard form factor video camera, I go for the EX-1. Frankly I use the DSLRs a lot more, because I want the beauty look most of the time. The only times I am using the EX-1 recently has been for greenscreen shots, and long events and interviews (where audio and long record times are a must).

I have not previewed my DSLR footage on a a full theater screen (I will shortly), but on our 70 inch tradeshow monitor it looks great. If you shoot DSLR right, it will look darn close to the technical quality of a 4:2:2 Sony video camera.

John Young
Surrounding Media

Return to posts index

Jude Lunch
on Mar 6, 2013 at 2:33:25 pm

Thanks John, I was kind of thinking that, EX1 as work horse, DSLR for beautiful shots. Sounds to me Brian that DSLR would be better suited to your work!

Jude : )

Return to posts index

John Young
on Mar 6, 2013 at 5:12:15 pm

The EX-1 is a bit of dated technology. They are a great workhorse camera, but if you are going for a brand new camera I might instead look at something like this.

Sony FS100
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761580-REG/Sony_NEX_FS100UK_NEX_FS100...

I just now realized that your budget isn't so bad. (didn't do the conversion to $ that I am familiar with). So you might be able to get your beauty shots with a camera like this as well.

John Young
Surrounding Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]