FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Theater Long form video camera and lens kit

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph BaileyLive Theater Long form video camera and lens kit
by on Jan 30, 2013 at 10:10:10 pm

I am shooting live theater with a PMW- EX1, and need better low light sensitivity and a higher dynamic range. I am willing to move up considerably in price, but I want to be sure that it is an obvious improvement in quality. I am scared of the FS-100 and FS-700 because of the reviews of rather mediocre build quality. I don't need the super slo-mo. I DO need to constantly zoom, pan, and ride the iris to keep the wildly varying stage lighting under some sort of control. All spotlit actors burn to a crisp without fast iris control. I am considering the Scarlet, but don't know what lenses would fit my needs. It seems that all my recent Canon 35mm lenses might not work due to no manual iris control, and apparently they only move in 1/3 - 1/2 stop increments, rather than smoothly, if there is electronic iris control. So, does that mean only high-grade PL mount lenses in order to have a manual iris and sharpness good enought for 4K? Its looking like $30,000 in order to really make a big step up from the EX1 for long-form live theatre. Thoughts on camera/lens combos? ... especially the lenses. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved