FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sports Zoom Remote for JVC HM 150

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John PerusoSports Zoom Remote for JVC HM 150
by on Jan 13, 2013 at 10:00:25 pm

I own 6 x JVC GY Hm150s and need to put zoom remotes on them as all 6 will be on jibs for shooting sports. Obviously I can buy the $300 JVC Brand only zoom remote they make for it, but $1800 is just way too out of my budget for zooming capbilities, I have other things I need to purchase before that.

I have come up with a solution: I run an optical cable from the camera remote that comes with the camera up to the front of the cameras sensor and use that, and costs roughly $30 for all parts of each one and does the trick. However, I'd like to sray away from the MacGuyver method and go with something semi more professional, but less expensive that $300 a unit.

The JVC has a 3.5mm input jack for the Lanc, while almost every other camera/remote is a 2.5mm. My questions is:

If I get a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm Male adapter, and put the standard lanc remote into the adapter then plug it into my camera would that work, and just simply buy a cheaper remote? Also, this once Libec brand remote has both a 2.5mm and a 3.5mm jack on it for panasonic cameras that have 2 ports, if I were to use this, would it work if I just plugged the 3.5mm end into my JVC. ANy thoughts/sugestions much appreciated. Heres a link to the libec:

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Sports Zoom Remote for JVC HM 150
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 6:02:25 pm

Just make sure anything you buy is compatible with your specific camera. If though it may be for a JVC, some remotes don't always work with all brands.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
Video Marketing

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

David EaksRe: Sports Zoom Remote for JVC HM 150
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:27:49 pm

I don't have an answer to your questions but just wanted to add my $0.02. With my first two Sony NX5s, I bought the more expensive Sony LANC zoom remotes, then with my second two NX5s I chose to get less expensive Libec ones. I actually preffer the Libec remotes and always reach for them when setting up to shoot. Assuming they work with your cameras, I'm sure you'll be happy with the Libec remote.

Return to posts index

John PerusoRe: Sports Zoom Remote for JVC HM 150
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:31:52 pm

Thnaks for the input. May seem like a dumb question, but do you only use one of the two end plugs on the libec? I.E. whichever one fits your sony? Because when looking at the remote online I keep see'ing pictures of a Panasonic that has two diff. sized ports that they both plug in. I guess my short question is, are they both just diff sized plugs that do the same thing for cameras with one lanc port? (did I make sense with my question?)

Return to posts index

David EaksRe: Sports Zoom Remote for JVC HM 150
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:46:22 pm

Sorry, I have the even less expensive Libec remotes with only the 2.5".

Return to posts index

Michael GriggsRe: Sports Zoom Remote for JVC HM 150
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 11:03:28 pm

Can't speak for the other brands, but the two ports on the Pani's accomplish different things. One controls Iris and Focus, the other controls the zoom motor. They can both be plugged in, or you can just use one (like the zoom).

It should be noted that they will override the on-camera controls...e.g. if the iris/focus bit is plugged in, the camera will NOT autofocus, and must be manually adjusted using the remote.

Hope it helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved