FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless lav mic popping/buzzing

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael CalcagnoWireless lav mic popping/buzzing
by on Dec 2, 2012 at 4:47:11 pm

I've been using a Sennheiser G3 COMBO (A) EK100/SKP100/SK100/ME2 Wireless for interview audio for the past 6 months. I can definitely tell with my last few projects there's been an annoying increase in the distinctive humming I hear occasionally. It increasing from nothing to pretty oticeable until there is a loud pop -- then the hum goes away -- only to just repeat this process all over again after a few minutes.

Calcagno Media

Return to posts index

David WheelerRe: Wireless lav mic popping/buzzing
by on Dec 4, 2012 at 3:51:06 pm

I've never had a similar problem with a wireless mic. Hum from a wired mic can sometimes be an induced voltage from running mic lines parallel with power cords. I would check the receiver-to-camera connector and cord. If you have a backup cord, use it and see if you still have the problem. Make sure the camera mike input is not set on phantom power. If you still have a problem with a new cord, you may want to contact Sennheiser with the question.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; nanoFLASH; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Wireless lav mic popping/buzzing
by on Dec 4, 2012 at 8:29:53 pm

It very well could be a damaged cord with a bad ground but it might also be a case of the camera's automatic gain control fighting with the source. Are you recording audio with manual levels or some kind of automatic level control? Lay out a picture of the setup if you are able.

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Wireless lav mic popping/buzzing
by on Dec 11, 2012 at 5:01:08 pm

Is this happening in multiple locations / set-ups?

It can happen if the receiver is close to lighting source.

Probably a bad cord. Try a new mic. Change the channel.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
Video Marketing

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved