FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Advise with choosing a multi video camera rig for weddings, bar /bat mitzvas etc

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Levi
Need Advise with choosing a multi video camera rig for weddings, bar /bat mitzvas etc
on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:00:57 am

I am asking around what camera and rig set up works best in a multi video shooting situations in weddings etc,

i was thinking both 1-SLR and 1-video cameras but wanted to ask pros since some say get two of the same cameras.

I like canon, a full frame etc but the rec time is limited and that means buying a ninja rig, im not impressed by the Panasonic GH3 look, Nikon d600 sounds nice though, in any case i am open to hear what works for you.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Need Advise with choosing a multi video camera rig for weddings, bar /bat mitzvas etc
on Nov 30, 2012 at 4:41:09 am

I think the optimal place for a DSLR in Weddings is shooting the reception, where most of its shortcomings don't become a factor, and a traditional type video camera works better for the actual ceremonies. I think today's customer wants at least 2-camera coverage of the ceremony, to get the best angles and to have enough variety of shots that you can cut in interesting ways to keep the audience interest.

Something you kids today have that we would have killed for back in the eighties are tiny HD "hide-able" cameras like go-pros. I've seen one used for POV coverage hidden inside the bridal bouquet, but where I think these are great is hidden in the decorations on the altar or in the organ or piano, to get those iso shots that can really improve an edit and be good back-ups.

Something we used to do at receptions was leave a camera locked-off with a monitor off to one side, so people could walk up to it and leave their own messages. You do need to pre-screen this and throw a lot away, but occasionally, you get some gems that way.

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
Re: Need Advise with choosing a multi video camera rig for weddings, bar /bat mitzvas etc
on Nov 30, 2012 at 5:28:12 pm

I agree with Marks recommendation for two video cameras for the ceremony and using DSLR for B-roll only. Another factor to consider is editing. You cannot use the multicam edit option in FCP with cameras of different frame rates, codecs and pixel dimensions, so using two identical video cameras is better for editing IMHO.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 11, 2012 at 7:01:52 pm

You can multicam in final cut using Plural Eyes to synch your footage. It is easier using the same cameras, which lets you synch in final cut, but Plural Eyes works too. I saw it's on sale today, 40% off.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 11, 2012 at 5:05:11 pm

Some people use on DSLR's, which is fine.

I use a mix of Canon DSLR's and a Sony EX-1 to capture audio and use for longer recording time during events. Bat/Bar Mitzvah's usually last 2 hours for the service, so a DSLR isn't a good choice. Plus, very few Temple's will allow you to film inside during the service. You usually have to film in the hallway through a door. So you'll be far away. You'll need a long lens to reach the distance. Using a video camera has an advantage over the DSLR in this case.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 11, 2012 at 6:54:00 pm

The reason I use one standard video camera is for monitoring audio. You'll get better quality audio using a better quality external recorder, but I try to simplify things when filming live events.

I use the DSLR for prep time to get that film look and help me focus on story telling. It also provides a cleaner look when you are filming in a messy room.....which is most of the time.

I know a lot of people use external recorders, but they do not monitor them. I will never record audio without monitoring it. It opens you up for disaster.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
on Dec 11, 2012 at 9:43:14 pm

Well it turned out that the Canon 5d mkiii was the final choice for DSLR along with Kosher photographers, but also for weddings.

I am wondering if Canon video cameras are a better combination then Sonys ex series, or simply a loooong zoom with the 5d mkiii and a ninja 2

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 13, 2012 at 3:58:38 pm

I've had my EX 1 for a while. I love it, but I wouldn't buy one now since there are so many other quality cameras out there for half the price.

At that price I would choose alternative cameras.

Here is my wish list if I had the budget.

Sony FS 700U Up to 960 fps for those cool slomo, built in ND
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/853273-REG/Sony_NEX_FS700_4K_Ready_Hi...

or

Canon C100
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889545-REG/Canon_EOS_C100_EF_Cinema.h...

Canon 5D MK III's

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Dec 22, 2012 at 11:00:56 am

Levi - for about the same price as a couple of 5D MkIIIs, I would get two $3599 Sony EA50s. Camcorder ergonomics, power zoom, XLR inputs, shoulder mount without a rig, interchangeable lenses, DSLR-style depth of field.

Here is what this camera can do with a f1.8 lens:

In low light:

Here is a short side-by-side with the 5D and 7D:

Hope this is helpful and best of the holy-days,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]