FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better Sound

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete CotelleseBetter Sound
by on Nov 28, 2012 at 2:55:32 am

hello, right now I shoot the church ceremony using the camera mic, then when vows I switch one channel to lapel mic which is clear. should I have a mic system that allows me to put a mic on a mic stand and place near a speaker and the other channel left on for the groom. I just don't like the echo sound of readers and the priest.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave HaynieRe: Better Sound
by on Nov 28, 2012 at 12:56:51 pm

As a general rule, you should NEVER use the in-camera mic if you're trying to get good sound. For weddings, I use multiple off-camera recorders. The lapel mic on the groom is what you want. I usually have at least one shotgun on the ceremony as well, and if the setup permits, I put a digital recorder on the podium, in a plant, etc... something near the ceremony, but in a different direction. Also good to have at least one mic on the PA, or a digital recorder off the PA mixer if possible.

I don't like the idea of switching... I want all of these things recorded at once. Back in the day, I used MD recorders, these days, I have a couple of digital recorders; one is small enough to clip on to the groom or anyone else I want to mic directly -- no worries about cabling or radio. His lapel is often good for micing the bride, too, but not always.

Part of this is maximizing quality. If I have 3-6 different audio positions, I will have better audio for every speaker: bride, groom, cleric, invited guests, singers, anyone who speaks at the ceremony. I started out as a sound guy -- I'd really like a lapel mic on every speaker, but that's not remotely practical.

Part of this is redundancy. I was shooting a wedding back in 2006 in which the PA system failed entirely. I did have a mic on the PA, but that was completely worthless... everything I recorded came in via shotgun mics on my two cameras. I made it work, but it wasn't the best audio I could have managed.

Return to posts index

Pete CotelleseRe: Better Sound
by on Nov 30, 2012 at 2:34:42 am

Thank you, Dave. I am trying to take my video to another level this year. I still shoot mini dv and edit on Corel on my HP. I definitly will go digital recorder and update my camera to hd and software. I'm glad I found this site. Now, how about the reception for audio: clearer intros, speaches. I still only use camera mic. I was thinking of putting one mic on a mic stand near the speaker and the other channel for my camera. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved