FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choosing and an HD format for a cable fishing show.

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary BolandChoosing and an HD format for a cable fishing show.
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 12:54:16 am

I do most of my videoing with my Sony HVR -Z7U camcorder. My camcorder’s menu has several HD video formats to choose from. I noticed there are two ways to record 1080i 30. In the camera’s HD progressive menu you can choose interlace then 30 or progressive then 30. When choosing interlace and then 30, the data display shows 1080i 30p SCAN. When choosing progressive then 30 the data displays just shows 1080i 30p

I know there are other frame rate choice such 24p for a film look, and 60 which I’m not sure about. I open to good suggestions.

My question is what is the best HD format to shoot in for an outdoors fishing cable show. The film look is out for this show.

I’m shooting on the go a lot. There are many shoots where I’m panning to a fish then to the angler. So there is a lot of motion. Once in a while I would like to show a fish jumping in slow motion. I’m mentioning this so it might help decide which HD format to choose from.

Gary Boland

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Choosing and an HD format for a cable fishing show.
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 4:25:56 pm

We argue about this at the office all the time. My faction says fast motion sports or action is better shot in 720 where apparent motion blur is less and that 1080 is for slower stuff like golf, where the images are slow and stable and pretty. I wouldn't call my opinion on this vey scientific; I base it on what my eyes tell me. But I hear a lot of motion-packed sports is done in 720.

Fishing shows are a hybrid in terms of action: a lot of sitting around in the boat with scenery, sure, which would argue for 1080, but when you get a strike, you want that action sharp.

Return to posts index

David WheelerRe: Choosing and an HD format for a cable fishing show.
by on Nov 30, 2012 at 5:22:56 pm

I'm not familiar with the Z7U, but if you want to record motion (especially relatively quick camera moves) there are at least three important factors that determine the image quality: frame rate, bit rate and shutter speed. IMHO, you'll get less motion distortion at 1080i60 than 1080p30. With MPEG-2 compression you may notice a lot of juddering on quick camera moves due to the slow data rate. If you can capture the uncompressed signal over HDMI (to a nanoFlash unit for example) you can eliminate the juddering problem.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5

Return to posts index

Brent DunnRe: Choosing and an HD format for a cable fishing show.
by on Dec 19, 2012 at 6:08:50 pm

60p will give you twice the frame rate, which will allow you to slow it down 50% to 30p to get a nice smooth slow motion shot. Your shots will look more detailed.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
Video Marketing

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved