FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tricaster tech question

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mattia BaroneTricaster tech question
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:07:28 pm

Hello guys,

I'm planning a multi cam video shoot with the objective of streaming a stage performance to web. I'll be looking after the video process, while a different department will compress/ encode and stream to web.

From my research I gatehr that the Newtek Tricaster is a trusty piece of kit that will take care of most of the live vision mixing part of things. What I'm not clear about is what exactly it can do with my video signal.

to give you a little more info, I'm planning on using 2 Panasonic HPX371 ( together with a Panasonic AF 101 ( They'll all connect to the Tricaster via SDI/ BNC.

My question now is, can the Tricaster handle 2 different video signals/ codecs, and what will the mixed feed be like (source codec, compressed)? Can the Tricaster convert down to a format that will be closer to the streaming codec (1-2Megabits in X codec)?

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but it would be great if some of you pro's out there could share your knowledge.

Cheers - Mattia

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Tricaster tech question
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:53:38 pm

The "tri" in tricaster is because it can take three camera inputs.
A visit to newtek's web page will fill you in on the streaming formats it can handle. The tricaster can also record the show internally to an archive for later editing or re-feed. While it can stream directly to a small audience, for anything "serious", you'd be beter off IMO mirroring it off another server or first feeding a stream to a CDN for re-transmission.

Return to posts index

Mattia BaroneRe: Tricaster tech question
by on Jun 7, 2012 at 2:05:21 pm

Hello Mark,

thanks for your info in this matter. Looks like the Tricaster can do pretty much anything...espresso coffe included. I went ahead hiring one and will see what it can do. You might hear from me with regards to the streaming/ mirroring, but that's not gonn ahappen until next week.

Bye for now - Mattia

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Tricaster tech question
by on Jun 7, 2012 at 2:29:07 pm

look at services like ustream to handle the mass distribution. And hold the foam.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved